SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More disturbed seeing on the 28th

neil phillips

Not getting stable air yet. Even when the maps are showing no jet stream. Its been rather odd recently. hope it improves soon.

Orion 245mm newt. QHY 462 C IR 685 Saturn ZWO ADC CELESTRON 2X Barlow 

RGB UV IR CUT Jupiter EQ5 PRO 

28TH MOONS.png

BAD.png b.png

28th orion.png 65.png s.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

The IR Saturn is showing some very good detail Neil The big newtonian as definetly resolved the cassini ring at the front you just need that little bit more stable seeing to to define it a little more clearly. Also love the over exposed Saturn to bring out the moons (which moon is the bright one Titan?) The Jupiter image I can see is captured in daylight so that as come out really well. Considering the conditions you are having to cope with at your location they are excellent images.

Great captures despite the conditions. It seems to be the theme these days 😢; the weather for the weekend seems better. It sucks waking up that early and the weather is not playing ball. Your Jupiter is looking pretty good with a lot of details. It seems that it is more forgiving on the conditions even though it is lower in the sky. Your saturn in IR is looking good as well; the overexposed one looks like the space invaders game🤣 but I like the moon.

3 hours ago, morimarty said:

The IR Saturn is showing some very good detail Neil The big newtonian as definetly resolved the cassini ring at the front you just need that little bit more stable seeing to to define it a little more clearly. Also love the over exposed Saturn to bring out the moons (which moon is the bright one Titan?) The Jupiter image I can see is captured in daylight so that as come out really well. Considering the conditions you are having to cope with at your location they are excellent images.

Cheers Martyn. I think the bright one most certainly is titan. Saw it when i was finding the planet on the chip. Over exposed to see the out of focus ring. So thought what the heck might as well show the moons. Exposure wasn't even particularly slow. (not deepsky slow ) 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Great captures despite the conditions. It seems to be the theme these days 😢; the weather for the weekend seems better. It sucks waking up that early and the weather is not playing ball. Your Jupiter is looking pretty good with a lot of details. It seems that it is more forgiving on the conditions even though it is lower in the sky. Your saturn in IR is looking good as well; the overexposed one looks like the space invaders game🤣 but I like the moon.

Cheers Kon. its really rather odd the last couple of weeks conditions seem to be good on the cards. I get out there and its all over the place. Hope its not becoming a pattern my end. Having said that i only really had two nights of excellent seeing last year where my saturn shots came out ok. If that happens i will expect a lot of muck. But hopefully at some point something good. I may switch back to colour i know a good RGB can be had i did it last year. 

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Over exposed to see the out of focus ring

Can you elaborate please? I like getting hints on improving captures.

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I get out there and its all over the place. Hope its not becoming a pattern my end

This summer it looks really unsettled, so not sure what is going on. Visually they also look really poor with hardly any details.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Can you elaborate please? I like getting hints on improving captures.

This summer it looks really unsettled, so not sure what is going on. Visually they also look really poor with hardly any details.

Hi Kon what i meant was. When getting the planet on the chip. Increase gain and exposure. If you are grossly out of focus. It will be easier to see the out of focus planet. 

As far as the seeing goes it seemed better late last year. But I still didn't get many excellent nights. Two on Saturn I remember. One very good night. I may get a lot of rubbish captures over the next few weeks. But still am hopeful i can get a good RGB. If Saturn is good, Jupiter will be even better. When Mars is higher I will certainly try that also. Poor seeing wont stop me trying that's for sure. It never has.

15 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Kon what i meant was. When getting the planet on the chip. Increase gain and exposure. If you are grossly out of focus. It will be easier to see the out of focus planet. 

As far as the seeing goes it seemed better late last year. But I still didn't get many excellent nights. Two on Saturn I remember. One very good night. I may get a lot of rubbish captures over the next few weeks. But still am hopeful i can get a good RGB. If Saturn is good, Jupiter will be even better. When Mars is higher I will certainly try that also. Poor seeing wont stop me trying that's for sure. It never has.

Thanks for the explanation. 

Likewise, happy to be out in the morning and  keep capturing images, even rubbish ones 🤣, with the hope of some decent seeing. At least we will start getting ISS back again at that early time as well to keep me busy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Looking at the weather forecast I initially thought that Friday night/Saturday morning might be good for observing the gas giants. But the Jet-Stream forecast says a big fat no!

Recently the jetstream forecast hasn't been reliable. Showing not over my location yet seeing still wasn't good

6 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Recently the jetstream forecast hasn't been reliable. Showing not over my location yet seeing still wasn't good

How do you know it’s not reliable? There could well be strong-ish high level winds that aren’t the jet. I also think that there’s more to good/bad seeing than just the jet. The atmosphere is rather complex to say the least.

It’s also a forecast and by definition it’s a “prediction or estimate”.  So of course it could be wrong. That’s one reason we go out and have a look when we get a clear night. 

29 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

How do you know it’s not reliable? There could well be strong-ish high level winds that aren’t the jet. I also think that there’s more to good/bad seeing than just the jet. The atmosphere is rather complex to say the least.

It’s also a forecast and by definition it’s a “prediction or estimate”.  So of course it could be wrong. That’s one reason we go out and have a look when we get a clear night. 

Yes i actually meant is not a a reliable indicator of local seeing for the reasons you outline. Of course there is more to good seeing other than a lack of jet stream. Totally agree. Having said that i also remember recently a huge jet stream over the UK Being reported on weather maps. Yet quite a few visual observers on this forum reported excellent seeing. Make of that what you will. But my point was exactly what you just stipulated. If the forecast of a jet stream is correct. Then clearly there is a lot more at play than just a lack of a fast moving jet stream. Much of which can also vary around the country. From location to location. 

• Like 2