Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fine focus knobs for 102 mak.

Ive come across fine focus knobs to fit over the original knobs on SCT 8" AND 9.25"  scopes on ebay, i'm wondering whether they would be suitable for my  Sky-Watcher 102 Mak , rather than the clothes peg trick, can anyone confirm whether the knob size is the same.   Many Thanks, Dave. 

Edited by dave34

Hi dave34, I've been looking at those too - I reckon they would be fairly easy to modify it they weren't a perfect for for your 102 Mak. Only thing putting me off is the postage from the U.S. - it's more than the knob!! Have you come across any being sold in the UK?

Hi DavieH, ive ordered a glow in the dark knob from here in the UK, only £8 with free p&p, made for 127 maks, the seller has said i could return the item if it doesnt fit, the OD may be too large, but i think it will be easy to shave the OD down a bit to fit the 102.   

The push-on knob for the 127 is available in the UK here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185060378222

I couldn't say if the 102 and 127 have the same size focuser knob.

The alternative is a clothes peg on the focuser knob, move the end with a finger and it's more sensitive than twisting the knob directly.

Edited by Zermelo

8 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The push-on knob for the 127 is available in the UK here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185060378222

I couldn't say if the 102 and 127 have the same size focuser knob.

The alternative is a clothes peg on the focuser knob, move the end with a finger and it's more sensitive than twisting the knob directly.

i bought the knob in the link above, unfortunately  it doesnt fit the 102, the OD is too big, not enough room between the knob and the visual back. 

I would be more inclined to fabricate something using a Meccano 3" diameter pulley with rubber tyre attached on a 1" axle fitted into a bored out focus knob and clamped with a set screw to the 1" axle. All thats required being to bore 2 holes and tap the knob for the set screw.