Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I’ve been doing it wrong for years

I’ve been doing it wrong for years! While I do have a telescope, I find it difficult to operate. Tonight I used a pair of binoculars, only 20x magnification, and the amount of sky junk I was able to see was amazing! Normally I can see two or three rocket bodies a night with the naked eye. 

Tonight, using the telescope, I was seeing space junk every 20 or 30 seconds in different areas of the sky. How is it that none of these collide with our planet? There are thousands of items out there careening through the skies.

Welcome to the site 👍

It could be that what you are seeing are the starlink satellites. I find them a good guide as to how clear the night sky is, the more you can see, the clearer the sky. If you can see the satellites, you should be able to see a fair amount of stuff with your binoculars, have a look at the section under equipment - Discussions Binoculars. Enjoy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noonenca9 said:

How is it that none of these collide with our planet?

Eventually most will once their orbit degrades enough.  Those in very high orbits generally won't ever return to the Earth.

• Like 1

I thought I was seeing space junk because they were literally hurtling through the sky. Almost in a tumbling motion, instead of a slower, more direct path. They were also traveling in all different directions.

I can’t remember if it was last year or two years ago, I was sitting watching towards the big dipper, and small lit satellites were all emanating from the exact same spot, near the outer edge of the big dippers pot. I started counting after three, and I made it all the way to 19, and started getting really nervous wondering what the heck was happening. I told my husband and he told me I was probably seeing the star link satellites.

1 hour ago, noonenca9 said:

I thought I was seeing space junk because they were literally hurtling through the sky. Almost in a tumbling motion, instead of a slower, more direct path. They were also traveling in all different directions.

I can’t remember if it was last year or two years ago, I was sitting watching towards the big dipper, and small lit satellites were all emanating from the exact same spot, near the outer edge of the big dippers pot. I started counting after three, and I made it all the way to 19, and started getting really nervous wondering what the heck was happening. I told my husband and he told me I was probably seeing the star link satellites.

If you want to know what is hurtling around the earth, the $4.99 Orbitrack app for Android or Iphone will entertain...

453380248_Screenshot_20220629-1614172.thumb.png.51202a09fe04300ccc7564fb4ab59177.png

117376593_Screenshot_20220629-1615102.png.c0895df19d2709ff231c66f4cc05582f.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, noonenca9 said:

As they were suddenly appearing they were most likely exiting the earths shadow into sunlight which made them appear to "appear" 

First time I saw them a couple of years ago I was driving and they were disappearing at a certain point! It was one of the first starlink launches that afternoon and they were all in a line disappearing at regular intervals clearly under intelligent control. I thought they were alien spacecraft going into a mother ship or something !!😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Those Starlink satellites are pretty intrusive during twilight.  Hopefully, bringing broadband to underserved parts of the world will make it worthwhile.  Apparently, it's already been helpful in Ukraine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Those Starlink satellites are pretty intrusive during twilight.  Hopefully, bringing broadband to underserved parts of the world will make it worthwhile.  Apparently, it's already been helpful in Ukraine.

Hasn't made a shred of difference in the hills around my home tho !😆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, noonenca9 said:

USSkies!! That was exactly what I thought! I was sitting in my backyard and I actually got scared and called my husband!!!

what did you call him 🤣