SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First venture into monochrome imaging - 60 minutes on M51

R1k

4 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Thats wild for 60 minutes. The 10 inch f4 is a real beast with mono it looks like.

I really do love it. Has been a game changer for me!

That is a sensational result and, bravo, well done. Resolution of spiral detail is just brilliant.

There are High Dynamic Range techniques which would let you fix the small, circular saturated core, probably, though you might need to shoot a handful of short subs for that.

The background isn't perfectly flattened but, hell, nobody is going to begrudge you a bit of leeway from NW England (land of my birth! )

This is the most remarkable image in terms of quality-from-location that I've seen in a long time.

Olly

• Like 1

Beautiful result for 1 hr in Bortle 6.

How did you processes away or deal with the diffraction spike, which would ordinarily appear for some of these stars. SW have thin vanes and the spike are normally not too thick and the stars retain their circular core, but curious to know how 20 sub stack dealt with them. Lovely job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That is a sensational result and, bravo, well done. Resolution of spiral detail is just brilliant.

There are High Dynamic Range techniques which would let you fix the small, circular saturated core, probably, though you might need to shoot a handful of short subs for that.

The background isn't perfectly flattened but, hell, nobody is going to begrudge you a bit of leeway from NW England (land of my birth! )

This is the most remarkable image in terms of quality-from-location that I've seen in a long time.

Olly

Thanks Olly! Big fan of your work so means a lot. I will have a think about shorter subs (maybe next year now) for a HDR approach. Thanks again for the feedback

6 hours ago, GalaxyGael said:

Beautiful result for 1 hr in Bortle 6.

How did you processes away or deal with the diffraction spike, which would ordinarily appear for some of these stars. SW have thin vanes and the spike are normally not too thick and the stars retain their circular core, but curious to know how 20 sub stack dealt with them. Lovely job.

Thanks very much. Nothing particular for the diffraction spikes. They are there and more evident on the brighter stars in the field of view I have cropped out. The stars within this cropped FoV are quite dim so they just don't show up.