Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The curse of buying new equipment

Dave scutt

It's been 1 month and 1 day since I last got the dob out.

I brought a duel speed focuser to try out , bad weather,  brought a new camera,  bad weather,  brought some more ep's, more bad weather, and the next few weeks don't look good either. 

Mrs S  is not happy ,me spending the money and not being able to sun bath because of the weather 🤣

Must stop buying new equipment , do you ever have enough  to satisfy your needs.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Eventually, yes, i think you do.

I've not really brought much for the last 3 years, but instead have sold unused bits on.

My one time desire for big aperture has now gone. Advancing years and declining eyesight have played their part here.

Happy just to use a good refractor on an easy to use alt-az mount and just enjoy what i have. If its not visible in my Bortle 7 lightshow, i don't worry so much anymore.

If the seeing cooperates though, with some nice planetary views, i go in happy.

• Like 2

I sure hope one day i have enough gear. It seems like every other day i am fetching something from the post office or declaring something through customs or just counting my pennies to make another purchase later. And haven't even used the equipment i bought 2 months ago yet due to the bright summer nights!

At least in about 2 weeks planetary season should start and i dont think i need extra trinkets for that. Hmm, maybe i could use a planetary ca... and there we go again 🤣.

My last session was in the 1st week in March :(

The weather has been abysmal all year and even the Full Moon hasn't cleared the sky like it usually does! 

I've got my eye on a big scope/mount upgrade but TBH, I just can't justify it. "You don't use the stuff you've already got" is the message from the MD. Imagine spending silly money on cloud attracting gear that might not get used all year 😱

• Like 2

Thought I’d escaped the new scope curse with the Evolox92 having clear nogjts for a week but no then the curse kicked in. 🤬

Will be buying a new planetary camera in a few weeks time.💦💦💦

We are doomed. 🙀🙀🙀

Edited by johninderby

Astronomy kit is the one thing that I never buy online and have delivered .

I always insist on picking kit up in person and checking the contents before departing for home.

This way I get to let all the included clouds out of the boxes at the vendors location rather than my own ... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the reason we buy so much equipment is 'because' of the bad weather. It's one way (all be it very expensive) of keeping engaged with the hobby :)

So it really is a vicious circle!

I haven't had the scope out for over 3 weeks ... but I've lots of goodies to play with when the clouds do clear :)

Malcolm

• Like 4

I have some (a lot) of gear that I haven't used since I bought it. I also have gear that really hasn't been used much. I'll never sell any of it. I'll get round to it in time.

It will be a nice surprise when I do.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have absolutely all the gear I need, I have had my last spurge, that’s enough. I feel very lucky and grateful to be able to say that. I don’t enjoy buying Astro gear at all, very expensive and time consuming if you get it wrong. I have been very lucky pulling the last of my outfit together 

The curse of buying new equipment combined with OCD is even worse.

v47rqv1l.jpg

Vixen NPL set. No problem.

Wans1QZl.jpg

GSO Plossl set. The 40mm and 32mm are badged as 'Revelation' and the 20mm has a silver housing. AAAaaaaggghhhh!

Edit: notwithstanding some have undercuts and some don't. 🤯

Edited by Zeta Reticulan
  • Haha 1

On 11/08/2022 at 03:00, Zeta Reticulan said:

I think the 10mm in the first pic is slightly out of alignment with the others.   (Just messing with you.  😁 )

Do I have everything I need?  Probably long ago.

Do I have everything I want?  LOL, far from it.

I'd really like to find my "forever" scope and cull the rest, but that might be as likely as finding a unicorn napping on my back deck.

Edited by jjohnson3803

At the moment i seem to have all that i need for my dob.  Sometime in the next year i will be buying a bigger dob and it will need the usual upgrades put on it, but my current eyepieces should be just dine. Its a good place to be. 

A lot of this can be put down to equipment envy! Having purchased what you could afford, then sensing there’s better stuff out there, as everyone keeps telling you so, you make more purchases. You may sell one or two but that “EE” comes around again…and again.

chaz

whos purchased more than is neccessary, used less than needed..woe is me

On 11/08/2022 at 09:00, Zeta Reticulan said:

v47rqv1l.jpg

Vixen NPL set. No problem.

Wans1QZl.jpg

GSO Plossl set. The 40mm and 32mm are badged as 'Revelation' and the 20mm has a silver housing. AAAaaaaggghhhh!

Edit: notwithstanding some have undercuts and some don't. 🤯

OCD isn't that bad keeps things in order20220715_094453.thumb.jpg.60b5b1f75e5ec5d032e101345736040d.jpg

• Like 2

This month I made my latest purchase that should arrive these days, the Baader Planetarium Contrast Booster filter. I'm curious to try it on my short focus achromatic refractors, the 80/400 and 120/600 to see how much better the observation on the Moon, Sun and planets. With 120/600 two years ago I had made some beautiful observations of Mars with lots of sketches, let's see a little with the new arrival .......

OCD or not I love all your eyepiece sets above. I've a real mixture and now Tak have stopped their Abbe and LE ranges. I'm very taken with the Japanese Genuine Abbe Orthoscopic Eyepieces FLO are selling but can't justify the expense to myself!

Malcolm