Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Kent

TheycallmeRiver

Hi SGL.  I'm a long time listener, first time caller.

I've been interested in astronomy for most of my life but only really started taking it a little more seriously during the first lockdown.  Since then I feel like I can't really get enough.  I find a lot of it hard to understand, and I've made a number of pretty common beginner mistakes which I'm sure will come out as I spend time here, but none of them are dampening my enthusiam for the hobby.  In fact, I feel even more inspired than I did before I started.

I own three telescopes - A dob, an SCT and a refractor, and i'm currently starting to build a proper eyepiece collection.  As and when i'm allowed to edit a signature I'll update it with what I own.

Look forward to sharing our hobby with you all as time goes by.

River

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Are you from River( Dover)?

No, I live in Maidstone.  River's just a long time nickname.  I do observe from the East end of the county sometimes though.

Pleased that the first people to reply to my post are all from Kent :) I was really hoping to meet some more local folks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

Pleased that the first people to reply to my post are all from Kent :) I was really hoping to meet some more local folks.

Greenwich, where I live, used to be in Kent.  Does that count?

Welcome

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

Greenwich, where I live, used to be in Kent.  Does that count?

Welcome

Greenwich used to be in Kent?  I never knew that. 

Anyway, I was born just down the road from you in Woolwich, lived half of my life in SE London and only moved to Kent 15 years ago when my wife and I bought our first place.

Hi there and welcome. Ex of Kent here, family hailing from Woolwich and Crayford, raised in Dartford. Escaped :D 20+ plus years ago, but links still with Thanet.

Adrian

Edited by UKDiver

1 hour ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

No, I live in Maidstone.  River's just a long time nickname.  I do observe from the East end of the county sometimes though.

I live in Ashford myself but work in Maidstone 

Not too sure if you're aware but there's mid Kent astronomy association in bredhurst... Ashford astromany society in woodchurch, and SEKAS ( south east Kent astronomy society) in Alkham( NR River)

If you wish to join a club

Edited by newbie alert
Added info
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Hello also from Kent.  I'm in East Kent but grew up in Gravesend and for the fellow Gravesendians in this thread around Windmill Hill.  Where you have absolutely no chance of seeing anything...

wow, I was in Northfleet in my later childhood, Pepper Hill then Colyer Road, went to Gravesend School for Boys before leaving for London and college. Now a bit further down the M2 after living in NW and SE London then Thurrock, Essex. Barely recognised Gravesend high street when I was down that way a few years ago tho.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

wow, I was in Northfleet in my later childhood, Pepper Hill then Colyer Road, went to Gravesend School for Boys before leaving for London and college. Now a bit further down the M2 after living in NW and SE London then Thurrock, Essex. Barely recognised Gravesend high street when I was down that way a few years ago tho.

I'm an ex-GGSB too.  It's a small World, really.  I was there from 1999-2004.  It still feels like a lifetime ago.

• Like 1

Just now, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I'm an ex-GGSB too.  It's a small World, really.  I was there from 1999-2004.  It still feels like a lifetime ago.

ahh much earlier for me, left there in 1978, a lifetime ago now for sure 😄 

• Haha 1