SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Out of stock everywhere

This is why I've never got the real grasp of "a world market economy ".

How can you have free equal trade if employee X is paid 1 chicken a month, employee 3X gets 5 chickens and employee 10X get 50 chickens.

Poor Ole 10X, eats pretty well till employee X is making everything for 1 chicken.

Tried to keep this really economic and not political. 

Right now this economy has turned my 5 monthly roasters into Cornish hens.

• 1 month later...

ES designed 3 other focal lengths in the 92° series several years ago, but they haven't been released.

They told me they've been put on hold due to production scarcity.

I was told by their sales manager that they place orders for eyepieces a year in advance and that the factory, a cell-phone glass manufacturer, makes the eyepieces in two large production runs per year.

if they get all they ordered but make an error guessing what will sell and what won't, they can make changes in the next production but can be out of stock for 6 months to a year.

And they have been.

That was before Covid19.

Now, they have to contend with raw materials shortages, factory shut downs, standing in line to get on a ship IF a cargo container is available, and a shortage of drivers to deliver the container.

Factory to warehouse shelf used to be 3 weeks, but now it can be 3 months.  Add that delay to other delays, and they can only pray their planning department guessed exactly right on product demand.

Most companies saw a 300-400% increase in sales during the pandemic, and though sales have declined since the peak, they aren't back at pre-pandemic levels.

So, shortage of materials, long delays, and increased demand--a perfect storm condition that creates empty shelves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

ES designed 3 other focal lengths in the 92° series several years ago, but they haven't been released.

I was told by their sales manager that they place orders for eyepieces a year in advance and that the factory, a cell-phone glass manufacturer, makes the eyepieces in two large production runs per year.

if they get all they ordered but make an error guessing what will sell and what won't, they can make changes in the next production but can be out of stock for 6 months to a year.

And they have been.

That was before Covid19.

Now, they have to contend with raw materials shortages, factory shut downs, standing in line to get on a ship IF a cargo container is available, and a shortage of drivers to deliver the container.

Factory to warehouse shelf used to be 3 weeks, but now it can be 3 months.  Add that delay to other delays, and they can only pray their planning department guessed exactly right on product demand.

Most companies saw a 300-400% increase in sales during the pandemic, and though sales have declined since the peak, they aren't back at pre-pandemic levels.

So, shortage of materials, long delays, and increased demand--a perfect storm condition that creates empty shelves.

Is the mobile phone glass manufacturer JOC, Don?

3 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

And they have been.

That was before Covid19.

let's hope they will come back soon. Lack of ES eyepieces started two years ago..

16 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Do you know the 3 focal lengths and if there is a possibility of making them in the future?