Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Terrestrial Exoplanet Kepler-1966b

AMcD

I remain unsure where to put these posts but 'Imaging-Planetary' seems the best fit.  Perhaps the moderators can move it if it is the wrong place 😀

This is the light curve for the K-type star Kepler 1566, showing the transit of the rocky planet Kepler-1566b in front of the star on the night of 22 to 23 June. 2022. Kepler-1566b is a terrestrial exoplanet 1522 light years from earth. Its mass is 0.418 Earths, it takes 0.5 days to complete one orbit of its star, and is 0.0121 AU from its star. Its discovery was announced in 2016.

Processing the data in AstroImage J produces a light curve, although the fit does not accord well with the predicted ingress and egress times and shows that the data is very messy. This is may be due to a combination of the integrations being obtained only in nautical darkness, and with variable high cloud during the imaging run.  I am also at present guesstimating the exposure times (with a long term ambition to write an app in Python to assist with that).  As usual, NASA's EXOplanet Transit Interpretation Code (EXOTIC) is much more unforgiving of the poor nature of my data and produces no best fit (although I like to think I can see the dip amongst the data points).  I need to concentrate on getting better data and more of it.

AstroImage J:

MeasurementsJPEG.jpg.a511bd70517aed759de9f91aed5928b8.jpg

NASA EXOTIC:

1622086362_EXOTICCurve.png.222c8f648629a583d929e10e20ceff43.png

882806909_EXOTICFOV.png.c89358b839ec3d0c37b042c73fe63a9c.png

1218708094_EXOTICGraphs.png.02e41e611839c3ffa053cdb8da3a620b.png

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Xilman said:

Have you tried using HOPS? https://www.exoworldsspies.com/en/software/

It has very good reviews and is recommended by the BAA-ARPS exoplanets sub-division.

I downloaded it a few days ago to see how well it worked against my home-brew software but haven't yet tried it out.

Many thanks.  I will give it a go.

As a question, why does the second line (bulleted on plot) say Kepler 408b?  Just checking you are using the correct model as I wouldn't expect it to have been this far out when you modelled the system.  Are these data points binned in time?

18 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

As a question, why does the second line (bulleted on plot) say Kepler 408b?  Just checking you are using the correct model as I wouldn't expect it to have been this far out when you modelled the system.  Are these data points binned in time?

That is a very good point.  The short answer is I do not know.  I find AstroImageJ a very complex programme to use.  I am quite new to this aspect of the hobby and at the moment am at the 'follow what it says on YouTube' stage 😀

My lack of software prowess is probably demonstrated by the fact I have spent most of the day trying to install HOPS, as kindly suggested by @Xilman, via repeated reinstallations of Anaconda without success.

5 minutes ago, AMcD said:

That is a very good point.  The short answer is I do not know.  I find AstroImageJ a very complex programme to use.  I am quite new to this aspect of the hobby and at the moment am at the 'follow what it says on YouTube' stage 😀

My lack of software prowess is probably demonstrated by the fact I have spent most of the day trying to install HOPS, as kindly suggested by @Xilman, via repeated reinstallations of Anaconda without success.

Yes, it can be a bit of a [removed word] (a technical term from the IT industry). It helps enormously if Python 3.x is already installed and you don't have to mess around with Anaconda.

I might be able to help out, and the authors are very responsive too.

2 hours ago, AMcD said:

Annoyingly I've just tried installing it all and it's gone through fine (and I'm not aware this computer already had Python installed).  So can't really help here.

2 hours ago, Xilman said:

Yes, it can be a bit of a [removed word] (a technical term from the IT industry). It helps enormously if Python 3.x is already installed and you don't have to mess around with Anaconda.

I might be able to help out, and the authors are very responsive too.

Many thanks.  I have removed Anaconda and have now simply installed Python 3.x in its own folder on C:\ with the path set in User environment variables.   When I try to install HOPS I get the following result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SET my dir=C:\WINDOWS\system 32

C:\WINDOWS\system32>python "C:\WINDOWS\system32\pre_setup.py"

python can't open file 'C:\WINDOWS\\System32\\pre_setup.py: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SET /p pydir= 0<pydir.txt

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>call ""

'""' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I appreciate I am seeking to run a 32bit cmd.exe on a 64bit machine, but I thought that the former was encompassed by the latter  such that 32bit programmes can be run on Windows 10.

4 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

Annoyingly I've just tried installing it all and it's gone through fine (and I'm not aware this computer already had Python installed).  So can't really help here.

That good news just reinforces my earlier description of my own lack of technical prowess 😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, AMcD said:

Many thanks.  I have removed Anaconda and have now simply installed Python 3.x in its own folder on C:\ with the path set in User environment variables.   When I try to install HOPS I get the following result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SET my dir=C:\WINDOWS\system 32

C:\WINDOWS\system32>python "C:\WINDOWS\system32\pre_setup.py"

python can't open file 'C:\WINDOWS\\System32\\pre_setup.py: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SET /p pydir= 0<pydir.txt

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>call ""

'""' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I appreciate I am seeking to run a 32bit cmd.exe on a 64bit machine, but I thought that the former was encompassed by the latter  such that 32bit programmes can be run on Windows 10.

I have now managed to get the installation package to run but it is running into exceptions with respect to 'pillow' and 'numpy'.  

Have now managed to get it working @Xilman.  Moving from Anaconda to a simple Python 3.x installation with pip installs of the required packages worked.  Many thanks for your help with this. 😃

10 hours ago, AMcD said:

Have now managed to get it working @Xilman.  Moving from Anaconda to a simple Python 3.x installation with pip installs of the required packages worked.  Many thanks for your help with this. 😃

That's good, and basically how I did it though, as I said, python 3.x was already in place.

On 27/06/2022 at 09:06, Xilman said:

That's good, and basically how I did it though, as I said, python 3.x was already in place.

Many thanks again.  Tried it out today on some older data I have.  Still some way out on the modelled ingress/egress but have found it much easier to use than AIJ and EXOTIC.  

detrended_model.thumb.jpg.ed1a47724e7de5a575040c86ed1ec01c.jpg