Narrowband

Remote desktop performance

Tomatobro

My remote (well at the bottom of the garden) observatory runs two Intel NUCs and up until the last couple of months the Remote desktop connections have been super reliable but recently the latency and dropouts have become a real pain. Thinking that it might be a frequency drift issue due to the high temperatures I tried many things to see if I could improve the situation.

With everybody out the house I removed the NUCs into the office right next to the router and did some load testing by running all the software and watching YouTube videos. It all seemed to be ok but I noticed that sometimes when I connected NINA or Sharpcap I could hear a voice message from the smart speaker in the kitchen.

To cut a long story short the cause of the latency and dropouts is down to the smart speaker. Disconnecting it and reinstalling the NUCs back in the observatory the remote desktop connection is once again reliable as an anvil. Seems like the smart speaker takes up quite a bit of WiFi bandwidth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Seems like the smart speaker takes up quite a bit of WiFi bandwidth.

probably down to all the listening its doing and sending it all back to Google so as best to taylor your next youtube experience :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malc-c said:

probably down to all the listening its doing and sending it all back to Google so as best to taylor your next youtube experience :)

And which ads to show you and when to make a profit on peoples personal data...

Aside that, the YouTube algorithm is actually scary how good it is. I dont really subscribe to any channels since YouTube will know what i want to watch anyway so no point in doing that. Somehow it has profiled me perfectly and i rarely if ever see a video in my home page that i am not interested in at all.

How much control do you have over your local network, i.e. DHCP/assigned ip's/local DNS servers etc. ??  if you are willing to take more control, then you can overcome a lot of the garbage that the big boys want to push at you ....

One of the simplest methods, just involves modifying a plain text file that is found on all computers/network attached devices, and that is the hosts file. 

Go search  "hosts file ad blocking", which will return a number of results e.g.  https://nordvpn.com/blog/use-hosts-file-block-ads-malware/  https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm  etc. which explain how to update your local hosts files, but note that Microsoft et al will try & put you off doing by trying to say that it's a virus, which it isn't ....