Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor focuser upgrade choice

I'm looking to upgrade the single speed focuser on my ancient but superb Orion 80ED that I was very fortunate to acquire recently. I'm gradually "renovating" this scope and the last thing now to do is upgrade the focuser, the existing one is fine but I would prefer a dual speed one. FLO have two available which look suitable, the Skywatcher dual speed Crayford and an Astro Essentials offering.

The AE one is cheaper so I'm considering that one and I'm wondering if there are any experiences or views regarding the quality of one versus the other.

I have also been looking at focusers for a Newtonian and I think the AE dual speed focuser and the SW dual speed low profile focuser are identical. I have the SW dual speed (not low profile) focuser on my Explorer 150PDS which is fine, but not fantastic. It can be taken to pieces for adjustment if required and I've found that improved the level of grip.

14 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Do you specifically want a new one?

Second hand focusers seem to crop up fairly regularly in the For Sale section, as people upgrade parts.

A good used on would be fine, I advertised in the wanted section a short while ago.

3 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

I have also been looking at focusers for a Newtonian and I think the AE dual speed focuser and the SW dual speed low profile focuser are identical. I have the SW dual speed (not low profile) focuser on my Explorer 150PDS which is fine, but not fantastic. It can be taken to pieces for adjustment if required and I've found that improved the level of grip.

I've just been advised by FLO that the two focusers are identical.

Are you planning to use it for imaging? If so I would recommend either a R&P focuser or a SteelTrack. I appreciate these are more expensive but for imaging I would say they are worth the extra expense. I have two Baader ST's and I think they are excellent.

• Like 1

You used to be able to get a dual speed upgrade kit for this focuser. One brand was 'lacerta' i think.

Do you really need dual speed ?

I have the original skywatcher branded ED80  with  single speed focuser~ for purely visual use, single speed's fine on this scope ( an f5 scope is another matter as would  any photographic use.)

I tried dual speed, went back to stock.

Check out  classic Telvue refractors, pretty sure they were single speed.... If it's good enough for Telvue & Steven James O'meara........??

Just trying to save your pennies Laurence.

• Like 1

I fitted the Skywatcher dual speed focuser supplied by FLO on a brand new Evostar 120/1000. I was really impressed by the quality and build of the focuser which is really good. The focuser itself is silky smooth in both speed movements. It is fully rotatable 360 degrees and can be locked in the desired position. The draw tube is also lockable and the tension can be increased/decreased to your preference. Compression rings on both the 2” & 1.25” fittings. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SiriusB said:

You used to be able to get a dual speed upgrade kit for this focuser. One brand was 'lacerta' i think.

Do you really need dual speed ?

I have the original skywatcher branded ED80  with  single speed focuser~ for purely visual use, single speed's fine on this scope ( an f5 scope is another matter as would  any photographic use.)

I tried dual speed, went back to stock.

Check out  classic Telvue refractors, pretty sure they were single speed.... If it's good enough for Telvue & Steven James O'meara........??

Just trying to save your pennies Laurence.

I think it's more to do with my eyesight although I can't pinpoint it physiologically, ophthalmology isn't my field🙂.

I have a dual speed focuser on my 130PDS and I find using the slower speed far less frustrating in achieving what I perceive to be a sharp clear image. With my single speed focusers I'm constantly going backwards and forwards which is definitely frustrating. On my Mak127 I have fitted a Skywatcher electronic focuser which has been a great success but an electronic focuser on my travel scope, a Startravel 102, has not been successful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I think it's more to do with my eyesight although I can't pinpoint it physiologically, ophthalmology isn't my field🙂.

I have a dual speed focuser on my 130PDS and I find using the slower speed far less frustrating in achieving what I perceive to be a sharp clear image. With my single speed focusers I'm constantly going backwards and forwards which is definitely frustrating. On my Mak127 I have fitted a Skywatcher electronic focuser which has been a great success but an electronic focuser on my travel scope, a Startravel 102, has not been successful.

Maybe nothing wrong with your eyesight?~ your observations closely follow mine.

Mak127.... focuser just a little too coarse at higher powers~ i fitted a helical micro focusing adapter, guess a motor focuser acheives the same result.

130PDS...@ F5 definitely dual speed is a big help, fitted dual speed  to my Startravel 120 f5, really helps a lot to make the scope a pleasure to use.

Bosun21 fitted DS to Evostar 120, again i agree,~the stock rack & pinion is tricky at higher powers.

The Single speed  S.W. crayford is very smooth IMO.  Your choice at end of day.

If it helps, I was gutted when my original ED80 was superseeded by the dual speed version, but for myself at least i've learnt i don't actually need it.

Critical focus varies with the square of the telescopes focal ratio, Thus an F5 is twice as hard to acheive 'perfect focus' as an F7 & 4x harder than an F10 scope.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

8AbYvM5l.jpg

I'm pretty sure these focusers are made by Long Perng. They are a lot better than the 96mm GSO rotating focusers IMO.

2IXeLkVl.jpg

Mine was bought as a 'Sky-Watcher' although there is no actual brand name on it.The fine focusing is excellent, although the rotation is not as smooth as my MoonLite.

kZiJQacl.jpg

The housing is fairly long but works well at f/7.5 with no back-focus or in-focus issues so far. The focuser draw tube is significantly longer than the GSO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/06/2022 at 14:01, PeterC65 said:

If you have the single speed skywatcher focuser get the Lacerta 10:1 upgrade I did it on my 200p absolutely brilliant and easier to fit and cheaper.

https://www.365astronomy.com/lacerta-dual-speed-1-10-microfocus-upgrade-kit-for-skywatcher-crayford-focusers?path=119_416

• Like 2