Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

altair 26c bit underwhelmed! or is it me?

Rob20236

8 minutes ago, Rob20236 said:

700 with 1 sec exposure. i need to install siril as i cant see the info your getting in my histogram

2022-06-29_22-32-23__22.00_1.00s_0000.fits 49.49 MB · 0 downloads

This one looks good with a min value of 352 👍.

If you do end up trying siril, just right click anywhere in the frame and click statistics. It will show you mean, median, max, min, etc etc. You can also draw a selection end then check statistics of just that area, for example when checking what kind of background value you have in a subexposure by selecting an area without stars and nebulosity.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

@Rob20236 Did all that work on the offest solve your problem with the intermittent "chequerboard" effect. Or have you found a different root cause? I'm interested to hear how it has been resolved.

i only managed 1/2 hour session other night before the clouds rolled in. its forcast clear tonight so fingers crossed. but from the few images i got plus new calibration frames i took after the clouds rolled in, ive not had anymore issues with images, plus the images i did manage to get had a hell of a lot more datail.

i didnt change anything else in my setup (cables ect) as i didnt want to change to much while figuring out what was wrong. so it looks like the camera setting change done the trick.

all i can say is a massive thank you for your and everyones help in using and loving this camera.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread as I'm interested in the Altair 26c. How are people finding this camera? Rob - did you get to confirm your checkerboard was sorted with the changes made?
This camera seems a LOT cheaper than the 2600 from ZWO, so naturally draws my interest, but don't want to be considering buying a bit of a lemon if thats what they have turned out to be!

Thanks

Ed

17 minutes ago, edarter said:

Just resurrecting this thread as I'm interested in the Altair 26c. How are people finding this camera? Rob - did you get to confirm your checkerboard was sorted with the changes made?
This camera seems a LOT cheaper than the 2600 from ZWO, so naturally draws my interest, but don't want to be considering buying a bit of a lemon if thats what they have turned out to be!

Thanks

Ed

I have used this camera over the last 12 months and found it to be a great camera, like any OSC it depends on your local light pollution and using the right duel narrow band filter it to get the most from them. I my case I used a gain of 100 and an offset of 650 using NINA with HGC and low noise mode enabled to get the best results.

Edited by Gary Clayton

1 hour ago, Gary Clayton said:

I have used this camera over the last 12 months and found it to be a great camera, like any OSC it depends on your local light pollution and using the right duel narrow band filter it to get the most from them. I my case I used a gain of 100 and an offset of 650 using NINA with HGC and low noise mode enabled to get the best results.

Thanks Gary, very useful info. There seems to be very little on the camera when you start searching for reviews so real world experience is always a good guide as to whether there are issues lurking.

Ed