SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StellaLyra 1.25" Linear Erect Image Binoviewer

Another new StellaLyra product manufactured by Long Perng in Taiwan 🙂 

StellaLyra 1.25" Linear Erect Image Binoviewer

This binoviewer is more convenient than most because it does not require additional in-focus distance. 

If your eyepieces reach focus with your telescope then you will also be able to reach focus with the binoviewer in place. (No need for a Barlow or glass-path-corrector). 

Also, unlike most other binoviewers, it uses a dielectric-coated, knife-edge beam splitting mirror to reduce the effects of field curvature and other optical abberations. The design also enhances contrast. 

stellalyra_1.25_binoviewer_a.jpgstellalyra_1.25_binoviewer_a%5B1%5D.jpgstellalyra_1.25_binoviewer_a%5B2%5D.jpgstellalyra_1.25_binoviewer_a%5B3%5D.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We'll, that's interesting..the first and obvious benefit of these new binoviewers is that unlike the Baader Maxbright II's,  they're not made of Unobtainium!👍

But a couple of questions if I may..

- does the nosepiece unscrew, and if so, is the revealed thread also 1.25" compatible?

- the spec says there is a "17mm internal field stop"..what is the longest focal length 1.25" eyepiece that can be used without vignetting?

And are there any artifacts seen as with an erecting prism, such as a line down the centre of the fov?

Looks like a nice product!😊

Many thanks,

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2

Im liking the features of these very much ie no barlows required, slide adjustment for your eye placement and click lock type eyepiece holders, I wonder if they are self centring?
Still a chunk of wedge compared to my WO BV’s…think I’ll wait until some second hand ones crop up 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

We'll, that's interesting..the first and obvious benefit of these new binoviewers is that unlike the Baader Maxbright II's,  they're not made of Unobtainium!👍

With the latest price rise, these Stellalyra binoviewers are also nearly £100 cheaper than the Baader set as well. 

I'd be interested to know how they perform with bright objects - a thread on here reported relfections with the Technosky version, but I have read some versions perform better than others - possibly due to different mirror coatings.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, F15Rules said:

But a couple of questions if I may..

- does the nosepiece unscrew, and if so, is the revealed thread also 1.25" compatible?

It is threaded for 1.25" filters but the nosepiece is not removable. It is part of the optical design. 

- the spec says there is a "17mm internal field stop"..what is the longest focal length 1.25" eyepiece that can be used without vignetting?

I don't think we know yet (this is a new product for us) but the 17mm internal field stop suggests some wide-field eyepieces with a field stop greater than around 17mm will experience some vignetting. Over time we will use it with a range of eyepieces then recommend those most compatible. 

And are there any artifacts seen as with an erecting prism, such as a line down the centre of the fov?

I doubt you would notice artefacts associated with prism-based binoviewers (this StellaMyra model doesn't use prisms) but there will inevitably be some aberrations (all binoviewers have some). Probably only noticeable at high magnifications and/or when observing especially bright targets, like planets. 

My personal opinion is binoviewers are best used for low-medium magnification observing. Used this way, the relaxed comfortable 3D-like views they provide are wonderful. 

18 hours ago, jock1958 said:

Im liking the features of these very much ie no barlows required, slide adjustment for your eye placement and click lock type eyepiece holders, I wonder if they are self centring?

They are.

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve @FLO the Orion Premium version looks the same, and according to a video on YouTube a refractor or a MAC will require an Orion Penta Prism diagonal or the image will be upside down 😩  
Take it its the same for the Stella Lyra version and what's the difference between a Penta Prism and let’s say a Baader Prism Diagonal 🤔

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies Steve👍.

I will watch with interest for user reviews of these new binoviewers..I currently use an old but well performing pair of Revelation binoviewers, but would seriously consider an "upgrade" if the performance was demonstrably better than my current pair.

I agree that binoviewers probably work best at low- medium powers on many objects, which is why that 17mm quoted field stop on your new binoviewers concerns me..for example, I have a WO 20mm 65 deg clone eyepiece pair, whose field stop is estimated to be in the region of 24-26mm..IMO, a 20mm focal length eyepiece is not really a true lower power eyepiece.. more a medium/lower power, and I'd say a true low powered would be a 23-24mm or longer focal length.

In my Revelation BV's, which have approximately 20mm clear aperture, I see no noticeable vignetting with the above 20mm wide angle 65deg units.

So, if a 20mm wide angle eyepiece is going to vignette significantly in the new Long Perng binoviewer, its' utility as a low power instrument could be rather limited?

I do hope I'm wrong about this: perhaps some SGL users of other brands' version of this Long Perng binoviewer could share their experiences of how their low power (23/24mm or longer) eyepieces perform in terms of vignetting or not?

An interesting discussion!

Dave

• Like 1

Some further info here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/692020-orion-linear-binoviewer-mini-review/

plus a diagram of the internals.

644990ED-30D3-4242-8B1B-7D4ADE7EE9D1.jpeg.6d247ec0dd8086984884a6aef69ab5e3.jpeg

Interestingly, I mainly use my binoviewers for high power solar and lunar observing, primarily to reduce floater visibility, switching to cyclops for low and mid. Plenty of people love them for low and mid power though, I always thought I was odd 😉.

The only reservation I would have the image orientation with a mirror diagonal ie upside down, although I deal with it in a newt so shouldn’t be a big deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stu said:

The only reservation I would have the image orientation with a mirror diagonal ie upside down, although I deal with it in a newt so shouldn’t be a big deal.

This concern's me as well.  I'm used to the left & right on my refractors but upside down whilst trying to decipher my lunar maps is to much for an old codger like me 😩 🤣 

• Haha 2

I really like the fact that they do not need extra in focus. I have done lots of tinkering in order to get my WO binoviewers working natively (no GPC) with my scopes in order to get low power and wide FOV. It has involved unscrewing bits of the OTA and adding Baader attachments. I can do it but it's a real faff changing from one setup to the other.

My only reservation with these would be the 17mm internal field stop. If this were to give a smaller FOV than I can get with the WO I would probably not be tempted.

I assume 17mm internal field stop will give a 15% smaller FOV than the 20mm(?) of the WO? Can anyone confirm this?

I know most people use binoviewers for medium/high magnification for the moon and planets, but I find them great to use for low magnification too for open star clusters.

Malcolm