SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar outburst today.

Peter Drew

Spectacular outburst on the Sun this afternoon.  I had been looking on and off during the day and an expected last sweep round the limb at 17.15 revealed an exceptionally bright whale tail shaped eruption.  It grew rapidly and headed out into space, the shape changing in real time.  Very complex distortions and separations, all seemingly held together by fine "threads"  almost at the resolution limit of the 150mm aperture, humbling to think that these threads that looked like spider webs were probably hundreds of miles thick!.  Eventually the relentless gravity of the Sun reeled the material back in and by 18.30 there was only a thin random pattern to be seen.  The best activity I've witnessed for some time.      🙂  

• Like 14

Nice observation @Peter Drew. The detail sounds impressive. What setup are you using? I try to keep an eye on the sun looking for fast changing proms but I think I've only seen it once and nowhere near as impressive as your observation sounds. That being said, I'd be very excited just to see the sun these days! Gotta love the Northern Ireland summers :)

Malcolm 

50 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Nice observation @Peter Drew. The detail sounds impressive. What setup are you using? I try to keep an eye on the sun looking for fast changing proms but I think I've only seen it once and nowhere near as impressive as your observation sounds. That being said, I'd be very excited just to see the sun these days! Gotta love the Northern Ireland summers :)

Malcolm 

I'm using a self built PST mod based on an Istar 150mm F10 objective, internal triband ERF and Denkmeier binoviewers.

I'm surprised that nobody else has reported the event wich was of around one hour duration.      🙂

• Thanks 1