SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would I be able to have HEQ5 motors work on EQ5?

3 hours ago, Lotinsh said:

Yeah imaging indeed isn't cheap, hence I'm looking at the used market. I know I don't have enough funds to step up the game yet, but my plan is once a while make an upgrade once I can. For now my budget is <100 Eur, not much. Especially with the inflation.

Are there perhaps other upgrades I could do to improve exposure time or something that helps imaging for my budget?

Personally I think you will be pushed to find anything that with that sort of budget other than an illuminate reticle  that would give you a set of cross-hairs to manually guide the mount, but then you really need an off-axis guide adaptor or a guidescope that has a standard eyepiece fitment, both of which takes you over your 100 euro budget.  And it still requires a second motor on the DEC axis so you can make adjustments in both directions.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lotinsh said:

Yeah imaging indeed isn't cheap, hence I'm looking at the used market. I know I don't have enough funds to step up the game yet, but my plan is once a while make an upgrade once I can. For now my budget is <100 Eur, not much. Especially with the inflation.

Are there perhaps other upgrades I could do to improve exposure time or something that helps imaging for my budget?

Incremental upgrades of not that great purchases do not add up to one great purchase over a longer period of time in terms what you get for your money, so i would probably try to save more money at first and then figure out what to buy next. Its very easy to make bad purchases when trying to save money and only end up having to spend more over a longer period of time, i fell into this trap when beginning and ended up spending around 50% more than what i would have had to spend if i just made the right purchases in the beginning.

Guiding is perhaps the most important part in astrophotography so you should look into ways you can make that happen. Maybe you have to split the budget in 2 and get a motor kit (like on step) that can be guided just for the RA axis and then save up money for a camera that can be used for guiding. I bet there are a thousand un-used old webcam-guidecams and guide cams like the 120MM that someone is looking to get rid of and you could fetch one for a good price.

• Like 1