SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TS-Optics-CF-APO-155-mm-f-8-Deluxe-Triplet-Refractor

5 minutes ago, petevasey said:

Anybody seen, own or know where there are images taken with this interesting telescope?  Long enough focal length for galaxies, triplet f8 so should have good colour correction, and light enough to ride on an EQ6 or similar.

Cheers,

Peter

Here you go Peter ..... https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=+CF-APO+155+mm+f%2F8+

• Like 1

On 15/06/2022 at 11:24, Steve Ward said:

Thanks very much, Steve.

A good start, particularly the NGC1333 image.  I have an image I took with my RC10 in 2014.  Here, but the link won't work until after June 26th - the guy who hosts my web site is in the throes of moving house.   So a medium size version of my image attached.  But the refractor image is far superior to mine.  Of course that image was taken in Saudi Arabia - somewhat different sky conditions to NE England😉  But it shows what the refractor is capable of.

I'd love to see some more images from a differect source, and in particular any personal experiences.

Cheers,

Peter

NGC1333.jpg

Edited by petevasey

2 hours ago, petevasey said:

and light enough to ride on an EQ6 or similar.

I think it is too long for an EQ6 if you have imaging in mind. Especially if you have a heavy imaging train, there will be a huge moment arm.

At this price point there are  better options for galaxy imaging in my opinion.

Edited by Dan_Paris

4 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Google's a wonderful tool ... 😉 

http://www.wolfi-ransburg.de/astronomie.html

Thanks again, Steve.  I'd already spent some time on that site, but am concerned that in the non narrowband images there is a hint of an off-centre red halo.  I've queried Teleskop Express about it (Wolfi is their founder and top man), but he didn't respond personally.   Riccardo Capellaro (their consultant) stated "I can tell you that the CFAPO155 is a very good telescope, probably the best one in its class".  So very positive.  I'd like to see some images of bright open clusters before going any further.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan_Paris said:

I think it is too long for an EQ6 if you have imaging in mind. Especially if you have a heavy imaging train, there will be a huge moment arm.

At this price point there are  better options for galaxy imaging in my opinion.

Thanks, Dan, I take your point.  Indeed Riccardo Capellaro also stated "it's pretty big and heavy"  But the web site also states " The Apo weighs only 13 kg - can be carried by a mount of the EQ6 class".   So as you say for imaging which I would hope to do with my EQ6 when at star parties etc. (I have a more substantial mount in my Observatory, no problems there), the moment arm might cause problems.  However (yeah, I know, one shouldn't start a sentence with 'however', but what the heck) I always use a Starlight Xpress Active Optics unit.  So not only is it very quick to react when guiding, during much of it's operation only the tip-tilt plate is moving, so the mount drive is not affected and the scope continues to track steadily.  I have no problems at all guiding my Meade 127 (950 mm focal length), and assume the extra length each end will be around 15 cm. Camera weight the same, but of course the lens end will be heavier.  A similar length to a 10" f5 Newtonian, often sold with the EQ6 mount, and of course the area of the refractor OTA is a lot less.

If it's too windy when out in the open with the EQ6, yes, I might have to give up, but I would then change targets and use a smaller telescope.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey