SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I’ve burnt my skywatcher battery. Want other option. Help

My dear friends. First of all , I wanna recommend you to check properly the cable you plug to charge the battery. I didn’t and a few seconds after began to produce a horrible black smoke, I throw it in the garden and flushed water from the hoss. Got scary! 

im thinking about getting this one 

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/river-portable-power-station

but I’d like to know if this 288w that claims would  be MUCH more than the skywatcher 17 ha. In my vast electric knowledge 17 ha * 12 v of the skywatcher gives 204 w. Is that correct?

so, would the eco flow just give me 80 w more?  In uK it’s 3 times the prize…..

thanks

The Skywatcher has 10A x 12v output at the cigarette sockets. That's 120W max

The 17Ah (Amp-hours) capacity is just that - capacity I.e. the amount of energy it can store. 17ah (at 12v) = 734kJ in SI units

This other powerpack has  288Wh (Watt-hours). Which is about 1037kJ - so about 80% higher capacity.

It can also supply 1800W power - that's  15 times the  power that the Skywatcher can supply!!! With a capacity of 288Watt-hours, at maximum output of 1800Watts it'll last 9 minutes! I doubt you'll ever need anything like that with astro equipment, unless you are trying to power up an observatory!

Thanks for the answer!  Thats what I wanted to know!! 
Lol for the observatory…….I’d like to have a little battery in case blackout or for weekend purposes…. 
thanks pixies!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you are correct, 12 volts x 17 amps is 204 watts. 12v x 17Ah is 204 watt hours capacity.

More expensive batteries generally live up to their hype whereas the cheapie ones often don't and they usually live longer too.

On 13/06/2022 at 13:21, FMA said:

My dear friends. First of all , I wanna recommend you to check properly the cable you plug to charge the battery. I didn’t and a few seconds after began to produce a horrible black smoke, I throw it in the garden and flushed water from the hoss. Got scary! 

Was the cable a mains cable?

Hi FMA, were you using the AC adaptor to charge the Skywatcher? That has a polarised plug. It would be helpful to know how this happened to save others from the same problem.

Are you able to check, or get someone with electronics knowledge to open the unit and see if it is repairable? I doubt that the actual battery is damaged, more likely a couple of components and insulation.

Michael