Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A bit of fun.....

I recently added an AZ GTi to my grab 'n go scope to make it a very lightweight goto setup, that I can move round my garden to different vantage points and to a nearby field with darker views. My first real session with it before the night sky got too light was 10 galaxies, the next 10 globulars, and last night 10 doubles with strong colour differences.  Scope was a 127 Mak, lightweight Vixen tripod, AZ GTi mount coupled to SkySafari, and a Hyperflex 7.2 to 21.5 mm eyepiece. Doubles taken from the S&T list. I wanted to see really how much colour was visible when the sky was so bright with the Moon nearly full and the light summer sky bleaching everything.

Gamma Del - strong yellow primary, blue secondary

Delta Cep - yellow primary, blueish secondary

Beta Cep - white primary, faint blue secondary

Beta Cyg (Albireo) - brilliant yellow, blue green

Zeta Her - just separated, yellow primary with a slightly bluer secondary

95 Her - lovely pair, slight colour difference, primary yellowish and secondary blueish

Alpha Her (Rasalgethi) - lovely, close, orange and steel blue. Rasalgethi means "head of the kneeler", ie me trying to polar align a scope!

Xi Boo - white primary, secondary slightly blueish-brown

Eta Per - orange primary, faint blue secondary

Eta Cas - whitish yellow, secondary slightly blue-brown

A fun evening!

Chris

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Well done on getting ζ Her.  I've tried half a dozen times this year without success.

I don't find it any easier with my 180 Mak than the smaller Mak - maybe the dimmer view withe the smaller one hides the diff ring more, as the secondary sits on or close to  the first ring. Certainly needs a night with excellent seeing though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I don't find it any easier with my 180 Mak than the smaller Mak - maybe the dimmer view withe the smaller one hides the diff ring more, as the secondary sits on or close to  the first ring. Certainly needs a night with excellent seeing though.

Yes, I think it's one of those situations where it's hiding in the diff ring, made worse by the large mag difference. The 127 is certainly capable of resolving separations that small.
I've had hints at the correct PA, but nothing that I could honestly record as a split.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1