Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heq5 pro bolt stuck - need some help.

Olli

Hi everyone, I’m not too sure what happened but after finally setting up the heq5 the bolt that tightens the mount is stuck and can’t tighten any further. As you can see the by the photo.  Not sure what the best solution is. Any help  advice would be appreciated.

33982206-A543-4509-9BFC-51ABCF34E18D.jpeg

If it's stuck then I wouldn't try to tighten it further, try to undo the bolt and find out why it stuck. It could be cross-threaded, in which case trying to tighten more will cause more thread damage.

These are only supposed to be hand tight so you can still move the mount for polar alignment, looking at the photo it seems you've had issues with it before. How did the black handle get that far down the shaft and is it loose on the shaft?

The first thing I'd do is turn the mount upside down and get some 3-in-1 oil or WD40 into the thread to try and lubricate it. Leave it to soak for 5-10 minutes and then try to unscrew the bolt from the mount head.

If you manage to unscrew it, check the threads on the bolt and in the base of the mount for any burrs or metal filings and remove them before you attempt to screw the bolt back into the mount. If it's cross-threaded then you really need to get a tap of the correct size to re-tap the thread in the mount before using it again as it could cause it to do this again. 

I hope this helps and let us know what you find. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
  • Thanks 1

Would repeat what budgie says,but I think there should be a thrust washer between the underside of the tripod hub and the step on the  shaft that you are hand tightening ,from your photo you can see a gap where the washer should be  good luck with it patience and perserverance  will pay off.

Hope this helps

Thanks Guys, think I’ve managed to fix it but now the mount itself won’t turn on.. not having the best luck so far with all of this. Appreciate the help.