SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saddle Thumbscrew replacement

Peter_D

Hi,

I have a Vixen GP mount. The thumbscrew (top photo) for fastening the telescope's prism rail has developed a bit of play in its head so I'd like to replace it (medium term fix is to replace the saddle with the ADM replacement).

In the meantime, does anyone sell proper rounded headed thumbscrews? I bought one (bottom photo)  that seemed rounded but it had an edge around its tip and chewed into the prism rail.

Thanks

Peter

IMG_20220611_140728362.jpg

IMG_20220611_140811197.jpg

22 hours ago, Peter_D said:

Hi,

I have a Vixen GP mount. The thumbscrew (top photo) for fastening the telescope's prism rail has developed a bit of play in its head so I'd like to replace it (medium term fix is to replace the saddle with the ADM replacement).

In the meantime, does anyone sell proper rounded headed thumbscrews? I bought one (bottom photo)  that seemed rounded but it had an edge around its tip and chewed into the prism rail.

Thanks

Peter

IMG_20220611_140728362.jpg

IMG_20220611_140811197.jpg

Hi Peter, does it have to have a plastic surround?

Uk supplier of metal thumbscrews:  https://www.accu.co.uk/search-uk?cs_ids=940&query=thumbscrews&page=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can vouch for accu.co.uk, very good indeed domestically.

But from outside the UK, I had a different experience. I ordered £45 worth of various fittings. But cheapest post cost to Ireland was £19 UPS. I ordered anyway it 9 May, it still hasn’t arrived! Tracking was telling me they’d been trying to contact me every day, but I’d had no calls. I checked my details, they were all good. After 3 weeks, I somehow got through to UPS with my tracking number and paid the customs. It indicated that delivery would be the following Monday. Not. Tracking since then has been saying UPS have been trying to contact me every day again!

I’m now in the UK for completion of my house sale, and simply gave up and re-ordered the same batch. It arrived one day later!

Maybe the ones floating around UPS-world in Ireland will reach me, in the meantime I’ll try to call accu and get a refund on the basis of egregious non-delivery. I did contact after that 3 weeks via their “live chat” but all they could say was “it’s up to UPS now, I’m sure they’ll get it to you as soon as possible”. The syntax of the text strongly suggests the live chat was with someone in India (called “Alan” I don’t think) with very little actual link to accu.

Rant over.

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Thanks 1