Narrowband

Switch to GOTO for some imaging?

Littleguy80

I have a Canon DSLR which I intended to use for some casual imaging. Planets, Moon, Milky Way, brighter Comets, Solar and that type of thing. I got a Star Adventurer mount  to use as a tracking mount. After around 18 months of having both, I’m finding that I don’t use the mount a great deal. It can be a bit fiddly to get it polar aligned with PS Align Pro. It’s also a real pain to align on a target with just a red dot finder and live view on the camera. 

I’m wondering whether replacing the Star Adventurer with some kind of goto mount would simplify the process a little? I’d really like to be able to set the camera off capturing some images and then do some observing with my dob. 

Telescope wise, I’m using the camera with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80. I have a couple of tripods which both handle that and the SkyAdventurer comfortably. 

All thoughts/advice/recommendations greatly appreciated 😊

• Like 1

Check the azgti owners thread by @AstroNebulee. I had a SA and got frustrated with it, the azgti was the solution I was looking for. You will need a bit more equipment with it though (EQ wedge, DIY counterweight, cables and autoguide accessories if you want to go that route (recommended)).

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Elp said:

Check the azgti owners thread by @AstroNebulee. I had a SA and got frustrated with it, the azgti was the solution I was looking for. You will need a bit more equipment with it though (EQ wedge, DIY counterweight, cables and autoguide accessories if you want to go that route (recommended)).

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/

Thank you @Elp I too had the SA and also couldn't get on with it very well, I got the az gti and boom really helped me. I'd definitely recommend the az gti, cheap, affordable, portable and once in the correct configuration and setup for you, will give you plenty of joy and really can punch above its weight in the imaging sector. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

That’s awesome. Thank you both so much. Will have a read up on that. Glad to hear that I’m not alone in struggling with the SA. 

I'm pleased it helped you. The az gti will make your life so much easier, It did me or I'm just lazy haha, but once your imaging away you can just scan the skies. As I sit outside with my set up I use binoculars at times, learn the constellations and stars. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I'm pleased it helped you. The az gti will make your life so much easier, It did me or I'm just lazy haha, but once your imaging away you can just scan the skies. As I sit outside with my set up I use binoculars at times, learn the constellations and stars. 

Sounds ideal 😊Hehe I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting an easy life! I’ve always preferred to find everything manually visually. I just found it to be an enjoyable challenge. Polar alignment for imaging was just frustrating so easier is better in that case 😂 Hobbies are supposed to be fun after all!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

As another option, there's a new dual motor Star Adventurer GTI coming out shortly, with WiFi and GoTo, no price on it yet but details are here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-star-adventurer-gti.html

Thank you. Looks like a more advanced version of the az-gti. The mention of a polar scope has brought me out in a cold sweat though 😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you. Looks like a more advanced version of the az-gti. The mention of a polar scope has brought me out in a cold sweat though 😂

Think you're putting up barriers in your mind.. what's the issue with PA?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Sounds ideal 😊Hehe I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting an easy life! I’ve always preferred to find everything manually visually. I just found it to be an enjoyable challenge. Polar alignment for imaging was just frustrating so easier is better in that case 😂 Hobbies are supposed to be fun after all!

I found PA a bit of a faff to be fair, I can do it just when I got my Asiair pro PA is a complete breeze with it now. Also if you have a laptop there is Sharpcap pro for £10 atm and rising to £12 on or just after 1st July with version 4.0 and there a PA piece of software in there which I've used before getting my AAP and is very good too. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

As another option, there's a new dual motor Star Adventurer GTI coming out shortly, with WiFi and GoTo, no price on it yet but details are here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-star-adventurer-gti.html

I did hear on the skywatcher USA webcast last evening that in the USA a small shipment is due for delivery end of June and a big shipment in the autumn. He did say that those in the US that preorderd quickly would get theirs by the end of the year. Not sure when here in the UK will get any and think it's going to be pricey. Still looks a nice piece of kit though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Think you're putting up barriers in your mind.. what's the issue with PA?

Hehe you may be right. I find it tricky to get the alignment correct and very frequently knock it out of alignment when then trying to aim the scope at the target. It all feels a bit haphazard resulting in not so great tracking. I’m sure with a lot more practice I could get it down. However, time under the stars is precious so I’d rather find a simpler solution that allows more time for the fun bits 😊I think it’s a bit like having a scope that’s too big to easily get out and observe with. The end result is you observe a lot less than if you had something a bit more grab and go. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Hehe you may be right. I find it tricky to get the alignment correct and very frequently knock it out of alignment when then trying to aim the scope at the target. It all feels a bit haphazard resulting in not so great tracking. I’m sure with a lot more practice I could get it down. However, time under the stars is precious so I’d rather find a simpler solution that allows more time for the fun bits 😊I think it’s a bit like having a scope that’s too big to easily get out and observe with. The end result is you observe a lot less than if you had something a bit more grab and go. 

As in with the Star adventurer? Yes its got to be delicately handled.. personally I'd not put any scope on a Star adventurer ( even thou I use it quite frequently with my PST) let me clarify, a beefier goto mount will make things so much easier..  it is easy so don't put mental barriers up, as further down the astrophotography learning curve there's plenty to make you think

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

As in with the Star adventurer? Yes its got to be delicately handled.. personally I'd not put any scope on a Star adventurer ( even thou I use it quite frequently with my PST) let me clarify, a beefier goto mount will make things so much easier..  it is easy so don't put mental barriers up, as further down the astrophotography learning curve there's plenty to make you think

Yeah, with the Star Adventurer. I’ve already had some challenges with processing and lots to learn there. I think it’s more a case of picking your battles. It just strikes me that the polar alignment challenge is easily solved through changing mounts. I’d simply rather put my time into other endeavours. Perhaps as the family gets older and I have more free time I’ll feel more inclined to get to grips with polar alignment.

I understand and appreciate the sentiment that this is something I can master with a bit of effort and time 😊

• Like 1

I don't know to much about the solar quest and how it compares to the az gti. Previously I have imaged the sun with my az gti. I just used to North level the mount and scope at the time and tell the synscan software to point to the sun, following the security type info you have to put in because you are viewing/imaging the sun of course. If I were you just buy the az gti mount you won't regret it and is adaptable to eq mode for longer tracking astrophotography. 

See attached image of the sun taken with an az gti, Skymax 127 and Canon 450d taken all safety precautions when imaging the sun, (using diy baader solar filter film on scope and finderscope) 

Cheers 

Lee 

Solar-disc-30-5-21-x-2-barlow.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2022 at 09:46, Littleguy80 said:

I have a Canon DSLR which I intended to use for some casual imaging. Planets, Moon, Milky Way, brighter Comets, Solar and that type of thing. I got a Star Adventurer mount  to use as a tracking mount. After around 18 months of having both, I’m finding that I don’t use the mount a great deal. It can be a bit fiddly to get it polar aligned with PS Align Pro. It’s also a real pain to align on a target with just a red dot finder and live view on the camera. 

I’m wondering whether replacing the Star Adventurer with some kind of goto mount would simplify the process a little? I’d really like to be able to set the camera off capturing some images and then do some observing with my dob. 

Telescope wise, I’m using the camera with a SkyWatcher Equinox 80. I have a couple of tripods which both handle that and the SkyAdventurer comfortably. 

All thoughts/advice/recommendations greatly appreciated 😊

Just a note of caution regarding the AZ GTi mount.  If you are having difficulties with Polar Alignment now with your Star Adventurer, an AZ GTi on it’s own may not improve things.  That’s because there is no built in polar scope.  You’ll likely need to connect it to a laptop to help here or purchase a mini PC / ASI Air to help.

Further, the AZ GTi is designed as an Alt-Az mount, not an equatorial mount, so not ideal for deep sky imaging out of the box.  What you can do to remedy this is buy an equatorial wedge and update the AZ GTi’s firmware to run in equatorial mode.

So one, potentially two additional purchases over and above just the mount itself.

Don’t get me wrong, I have an AZ GTi which I use for deep sky imaging and love it, just be aware there’s a little more to the AZ GTi to do what I think you want to do than simply buying the mount 👍.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

One question on the AZ GTi. How does it compare to the Solar Quest mount? I noticed it lists “Alignment-Free Solar Tracking“ on FLO for the AZ GTi. 

Looks like solar quest as the name suggests with the built in solar finder is for solar use only in alt az mode. Doesn't look like there are any manual clutches like you get with the azgti which allows you to use it like a manual mount. As the solar finder is where the alt clutch normally is on the azgti it doesn't look like the SQ has a threaded hole either for inserting a threaded counterweight bar which you need for EQ mode operation or even heavier scope altaz mode. The SQ payload is 4kg, azgti 5kg though some of us imagers have gone over that 5kg threshold without issue. Maybe a SQ owner can add more details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, herne said:

Just a note of caution regarding the AZ GTi mount.  If you are having difficulties with Polar Alignment now with your Star Adventurer, an AZ GTi on it’s own may not improve things.  That’s because there is no built in polar scope.  You’ll likely need to connect it to a laptop to help here or purchase a mini PC / ASI Air to help.

Further, the AZ GTi is designed as an Alt-Az mount, not an equatorial mount, so not ideal for deep sky imaging out of the box.  What you can do to remedy this is buy an equatorial wedge and update the AZ GTi’s firmware to run in equatorial mode.

So one, potentially two additional purchases over and above just the mount itself.

Don’t get me wrong, I have an AZ GTi which I use for deep sky imaging and love it, just be aware there’s a little more to the AZ GTi to do what I think you want to do than simply buying the mount 👍.

Does the AZ GTi still need polar alignment? I was assuming it doing some sort of alignment based on brighter stars and the app? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Does the AZ GTi still need polar alignment? I was assuming it doing some sort of alignment based on brighter stars and the app? 

The az gti in alt az mode needs no polar alignment. Just level the the telescope and point geographic North, then follow the alignment process on 1-3 brightest stars, that's what I used to do. 

In EQ mode I PA and use my asiair pro to PA. 

So in answer to your question, nope you don't need to PA out of the box. 

This is a very good video review of the az gti 👍 alignment is from 15.40 onwards 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Littleguy80, as others have mentioned the Solarquest is just for solar observing - essentially a modified AZ-GTi. For solar observing it is also possible to used the AZ-GTi in the same manner as @AstroNebulee and it works very well, very straightforward and pretty accurate. 

Although I am a visual only observer so can't speak in depth about imaging topics, it's worth underlining the above points mentioned that for any decent length imaging data capture, you'll really want to be working with an EQ mount (or e.g. the AZ-GTi in EQ mode) in which case, polar alignment will be needed in one form or another. I believe that most people using the AZ-GTi for imaging have upgraded the firmware to EQ mode. 

As above, in alt-az mode no polar alignment is needed. It is perfect for visual and can also work for basic AP with short exposures or planetary imaging which is often a video from which the best frames are selected. I exclusively use my AZ-GTi in alt-az mode and once you have the alignment process practiced, it's very quick and easy to set up. 

Again, I'm only a visual astronomer so pls take my imaging comments with a pinch of salt 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, badhex said:

Hi @Littleguy80, as others have mentioned the Solarquest is just for solar observing - essentially a modified AZ-GTi. For solar observing it is also possible to used the AZ-GTi in the same manner as @AstroNebulee and it works very well, very straightforward and pretty accurate. 

Although I am a visual only observer so can't speak in depth about imaging topics, it's worth underlining the above points mentioned that for any decent length imaging data capture, you'll really want to be working with an EQ mount (or e.g. the AZ-GTi in EQ mode) in which case, polar alignment will be needed in one form or another. I believe that most people using the AZ-GTi for imaging have upgraded the firmware to EQ mode. 

As above, in alt-az mode no polar alignment is needed. It is perfect for visual and can also work for basic AP with short exposures or planetary imaging which is often a video from which the best frames are selected. I exclusively use my AZ-GTi in alt-az mode and once you have the alignment process practiced, it's very quick and easy to set up. 

Again, I'm only a visual astronomer so pls take my imaging comments with a pinch of salt 😅

That's great. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much a visual guy who likes to dabble with imaging. I think the AZ-GTi is definitely going to cover my immeadiate needs better than the Adventurer. I have the EQ wedge etc with the Adventurer so I have that as an option. 

Software wise, I use a Mac which I think limits my options a bit more for controlling/aligning from a laptop. Another thing I can look into if I get a bit more serious about imaging.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

The az gti in alt az mode needs no polar alignment. Just level the the telescope and point geographic North, then follow the alignment process on 1-3 brightest stars, that's what I used to do. 

In EQ mode I PA and use my asiair pro to PA. 

So in answer to your question, nope you don't need to PA out of the box. 

This is a very good video review of the az gti 👍 alignment is from 15.40 onwards 

Cheers 

Lee 

Great video. Haven't watched the whole thing yet but it's answered a lot of questions for me :) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Great video. Haven't watched the whole thing yet but it's answered a lot of questions for me :) 

Shame they don't really make those Astronomy and Nature TV videos much any more, there's a some very helpful stuff there. 

Another video worth watching before you buy is the official Skywatcher webcast deep dive on the AZ-GTi. It's an hour, but well worth watching the whole thing. 

• Like 1