Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New starter

BeccaBrown

Hello

I'm Becca from Teesside and am totally new. Bit about me: I had always looked at the sky in a kind of "ooh that's pretty" kind of way, but a couple of weeks ago I took my toddler to a planetarium at our local Science museum and got totally hooked, even more so when I went home that night and picked out Orion straightaway, even remembering which one was Betegeuse and which one was Rigel (although I did call it Nigel...:))

Now I am well and truly hooked and have got a mountain of books out of the library (although not Turn Left At Orion yet, it is on my wishlist) and have got a telescope ordered and am the proud possessor of a small spyglass through which I actually managed to spot the crescent of Venus! :)

After looking around at LOTS of sites on the net which have had loads of info but seemed very much geared towards more experienced people than me, I was delighted to find this site and the friendly and welcoming attitude towards total newbies like me.

So hello!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Becca, and welcome to SGL.

You'll find all the help and encouragement you need here, to move you along the 'learning curve'.

Remember, that there's no such thing as a silly question here, so never be afraid, or feel embarrased to ask.

Dave

Hi Becca and welcome to SGL

What scope did you buy?

Thank you (everybody!) for the welcome, it's a lovely atmosphere on here!

The spyglass I got was a little Tasco 25mm, which I am getting steadier with every night! The telescope is a Telstar 76X700, which I know is not a Celestron or Skywatcher, but my plan is to get started (hopefully with a realistic expectation of what it can and can't do although that will be easier said than done when I'm out there I suspect!) and upgrade through time. It's arrived but I'm not allowed to use it until Mother's Day!

Thank you (everybody!) for the welcome, it's a lovely atmosphere on here!

The spyglass I got was a little Tasco 25mm, which I am getting steadier with every night! The telescope is a Telstar 76X700, which I know is not a Celestron or Skywatcher, but my plan is to get started (hopefully with a realistic expectation of what it can and can't do although that will be easier said than done when I'm out there I suspect!) and upgrade through time. It's arrived but I'm not allowed to use it until Mother's Day!

Nice One make sure you keep us updated with your progress.

Archived