Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Blue Horse

peter shah

Its been a few months since my last image. This  is a wonderful part the sky in the Scorpius region The Blue Horse imaged remotely from Spain with the Epsilon 180ED and the ASI2400MC full frame OSC camera. A total of three and a half hours comprised of 120s sub frames. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.
Thanks for looking 
Peter

Blue Horse 180ED 1.jpg

• Like 24

That's stunning.  Is there any justification left for mono when OSC delivers that?

Couldn't help pixel peeping (it's that good an image!) and is there some v v slight tilt (there seem to be some trails towards the bottom edge)?  (That's not a criticism btw - I'd be over the moon w an image like that - more curiosity)

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

Stunning shot! 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Nice work for a short integration Peter.  Looks like you picked up a slow moving object in the nose of the Horse.  Any thoughts on what it may be?

image.png.98f2a1d863458b0a4eb2d25e3467ad43.png

Many thanks .....Yes I saw that...There's another up towards the top right of the Horse too.......Most of these moving objects are normally rejected by the stacking algorithms. Pixinsight produces a map of the rejected pixels, Its great for cleaning up satellite trails but bad for these sort of objects. 

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

That's stunning.  Is there any justification left for mono when OSC delivers that?

Couldn't help pixel peeping (it's that good an image!) and is there some v v slight tilt (there seem to be some trails towards the bottom edge)?  (That's not a criticism btw - I'd be over the moon w an image like that - more curiosity)

Thank you.....I do love One Shot Colour and these sort of objects are where they shine. However the addition of narrow band elements on their own or even added to the an RGB image you will bet better results with the mono.....I am not saying you cant do it with a OSC the results are best with a mono.  The 'tilt' is actually an artefact of the stacking procedure caused by the objects altitude....I am looking into it to see if I can get better registration by tweaking the alignment settings. The stars are actually pretty round from corner to corner in the single frames. This object is very low down and is effected by atmospheric refraction. The frames were captured starting from at around 18 degrees and I think peaked at around 29. 

1 hour ago, Richard_ said:

Beautiful image Peter, well done! 

Thanks

2 hours ago, glafnazur said:

That's a great image Peter,  lovely colours. 👍

Thank you

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Nice work for a short integration Peter.  Looks like you picked up a slow moving object in the nose of the Horse.  Any thoughts on what it may be?

image.png.98f2a1d863458b0a4eb2d25e3467ad43.png

Guardians of the galaxy maybe warpspeeding through space 😆

• Like 1

Amazing image.

Looking at the objects moving made me start thinking.

120s subs, that would mean even in one 120s image what ever it is is moving slow.

When you think of the number of subs stacked, the more the subs, the slower it was moving.

Am I correct with this line of thinking?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Roy Foreman said:

Very nice image and good to see you back in the game !

Thank you....Ive got quite a bit of data still to process...Ive just been too busy. Amongst other things I have been building my new observatory 😀.....finished it now! Im pretty pleased with it

image.thumb.png.fb31cf0a6e9990864aefe05a8d51db60.png

image.thumb.png.674b0dd8675dfb762c6ec1e30abbbad5.png 

image.thumb.png.402a984eb14deb496f73571dd748e745.png

image.thumb.png.ca2db3af1b6ee7f464e0252452a38714.png

45 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Amazing image.

Looking at the objects moving made me start thinking.

120s subs, that would mean even in one 120s image what ever it is is moving slow.

When you think of the number of subs stacked, the more the subs, the slower it was moving.

Am I correct with this line of thinking?

Thank you....Yes except the object may not be present in all of the frames (I haven't checked yet) because it was imaged over a few nights...

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a terrific image of an astonishing object, one I don't recall seeing before. I can't think of anything like it.

Olly

Thank you Olly, its likely overlooked because of it proximity to Rho Ophiuchus and this image is part of much larger project 😉

• Like 2

20 hours ago, peter shah said:

The 'tilt' is actually an artefact of the stacking procedure caused by the objects altitude....I am looking into it to see if I can get better registration by tweaking the alignment settings. The stars are actually pretty round from corner to corner in the single frames. This object is very low down and is effected by atmospheric refraction. The frames were captured starting from at around 18 degrees and I think peaked at around 29. 

Yes I'd noticed that those shapes only seemed to be on the bottom edge not the top, hence my curiosity.  Interesting re it being an altitude-related stacking artefact.  I'm afraid I don't understand the subtleties of stacking algorithms anywhere near remotely but intuitively yes I can see how higher refraction lower down while the image registers based on stars higher up could do that.  It's almost like there's a need for adaptive registration for stacking purposes.

Looking fwd to seeing the fuller project.  And cracking vistas from the obs.