Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meet the family

IB20

As prompted by @Alan White who was also pre-owner of two of these eyepieces, thought I’d do a quick stock take of where my collection is. 

Spot the odd one out in the widefields!

Also got the orthos out and gave them a run out on the moon with the 76DC. The winner of the night was the TOE, just an astounding eyepiece and the first time I’ve been able to see a brownish hue in areas of the lunar surface. 

Still think there could be a 2.5mm added… 😈

21A6318D-515E-4967-BA39-874482862EF9.jpeg

2E9CF14C-BE9C-484E-8AA8-97EA2ACB93C1.jpeg

Edited by IB20
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Nice family, when did the TOE sneak in? 
I fancy a 4mm TOE myself, but trying to hang onto my funds at the minute, but may succumb to click finger.

The TOE arrived a few months ago, primarily for getting ready for the planetary season but have found it to be a great WL solar, lunar and double splitter so far. It feels bigger than its 52° FoV comparing it to other similar FoV EPs and I find just so easy to use. 

• Like 2

Nice sets!

If your focuser accepts 2" eps, I would recommend the 30mm APM UFF as a low power / wide field ep. It is as comfortable as the other eyepieces in your second photo and the views are really good. With that in set, you are pretty much done.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Piero said:

Nice sets!

If your focuser accepts 2" eps, I would recommend the 30mm APM UFF as a low power / wide field ep. It is as comfortable as the other eyepieces in your second photo and the views are really good. With that in set, you are pretty much done.

👍🏻 Currently using a Tak 76 so would need the Baader system or a FT & adaptor for 2” EPs; now my 1.25” collection is sorted it’s something I can certainly think about (when my finances recover!).

3 hours ago, IB20 said:

👍🏻 Currently using a Tak 76 so would need the Baader system or a FT & adaptor for 2” EPs; now my 1.25” collection is sorted it’s something I can certainly think about (when my finances recover!).

Yeah sure, an eyepiece set is something which is built up over time.

A 24 Pan would also work, but 1) it is more expensive, 2) it is quite close to your 17mm Morpheus, and 3) it is a small eyepiece whereas the others are medium size, so balancing can be affected.

30-17-10-7-5 is a very functional set in many telescopes. If one day you decide to get a 10 or 12" f5 dobson, that set of eyepieces is excellent.

You've got a keeper there..

On 09/06/2022 at 22:13, IB20 said:

The winner of the night was the TOE, just an astounding eyepiece

High time you sold those big heavy Pentax's :) If you like the 4mm TOE, you'll love the 2.5 and then you simply couldn't leave out the 3.3 :)

Malcolm

• Haha 1

The question is how well do TOE's perform compared with HR's....

I was getting some great views last night using a HR 2.4 and 3.4 mm.

By the time I got the TOE 4mm out the moon was behind the house, so no luck there...