SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good and not so good YouTube astroinfluencers

900SL

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is astronomy tends to be so...dry. There doesn't seem to be much humor or joking around (my numerous funny posts on cloudy nights with sweet gifs and stuff that wre constsntly being deleted is good proof) so when i stumed across this video this dude instsntly gained a subscriber..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jay6879 said:

All I know is astronomy tends to be so...dry. There doesn't seem to be much humor or joking around (my numerous funny posts on cloudy nights with sweet gifs and stuff that wre constsntly being deleted is good proof) so when i stumed across this video this dude instsntly gained a subscriber..

Love his sense of humor. This one clicked with me, something with the upbeat music and whats happening on screen makes it so funny:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Love his sense of humor. This one clicked with me, something with the upbeat music and whats happening on screen makes it so funny:

Haha I've never seen this one. You're right l, the jaunty music makes it. Some of the text killed me too. 

"Reslly get in there"

"Egg whites contain a natural cleaning solvent"

Edit - and him trying and failing to hang it off the clothesline 🤣

Edited by Jay6879

• 7 months later...

Sad to see about the Narrowband channel presenter. He does a great show. I was thinking he looked a bit gaunt recently.

Wishing him all the best. Hell of a position to be in, with three kids at that age. 

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Sad to see about the Narrowband channel presenter. He does a great show. I was thinking he looked a bit gaunt recently.

Wishing him all the best. He'll of a position to be in, with three kids at that age. 

It's awful news especially for such a young man with a young family but he has a wonderful attitude.

• Like 1

I didn't even know that there are astroinfluencers on youtube. The only astroinfluencers I knew about are the fuddy-duddies at star parties who insist on telling me how to align my finderscope even though it's aligned. They're what I aspire to.

A quick look: Astrobiscuit seems a "Good Lad"! I do rather like his
"roof on top of a roof" obsy! One up from any "Aero Biscuit"? 🤣
(I once chose a moniker which caused *ignorant* merriment! lol)

I am developing a bit of a Soft Spot for those who "teach stuff" on
Youtube (And forums? lol). We learn in different ways. I sat though
ALL levels of education, without learning much in the actual class?
I seem to prefer "Books"? I like the PAUSE button on Youtube? 😎

I can deliver a "mean" (good) Lecture! But others prefer a personal,
hands-on experience? Covid killed off our MAIN Astronomy
meetings and the latter, Beginners' Evenings? 😐

Edited by Macavity

I tend to veer to reviewers of equipment , although i think i subscribe to nearly all the astro tubers . BD Observatory  reviews some nice stuff for entry level . The old favs like astrobiscuit , and astro backyard .. although i  like their earlier stuff more than the newer stuff. The astro biscuit video where he had to explain the £4k of gear to his wife was priceless . But , when he went a bit too nerdy and the videos got a bit intense it lost some charm . Pleased to see Astro Stace back on the scene . Small Optics is another youtuber aimed at the beginner . His vids are a bit hap hazard but are farily watchable ( see how mant times he says "OK" in  a video ) 

To be honest we are blessed with a lot of good people keeping us entertained . Most seem to concentrate on Astrophotography rather than the visual side . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't specify just the one. Many popular ones ask to subscribe to their patreon or any similar money generating scheme for the same end result. Just the fact that they're using YT is a money making scheme in itself. I wouldn't deride it as a platform as it has enabled so much, channels where they've truly "made it" and have formed successful businesses out of them, from their early first videos you know they've done it because of their passion and continue to do so.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

YouTubers begging for money is a necessary evil in my opinion, it provides the means for a high production quality channel to exist.

All the hobby youtubers will transition to a full time employment youtuber if given the chance to make their living out of it. Its annoying and i think there is an issue of bias when it comes to product reviews but hey at least all the content is free so there is that.

• Like 2

I like the narrowband channel.  Seems very much a 'perfection is the enemy of good' sort of attitude.

RASCanana probably does qualify as an adtroinfluencwer, but their videos are great.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Narrowband channel, no begging for money but I can see that he might need help sooner or later.

Very sad, Ben has stage 4 cancer 😞

Edited by knobby
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, knobby said:

Speaking of the Narrowband channel, no begging for money but I can see that he might need help sooner or later.

Very sad, Ben has stage 4 cancer 😞

Yes. Here's hoping for the best. He's a good guy, I regularly check in on his channel. I might send a few bucks his way, he's one youtuber I would support.

• Like 2