SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good and not so good YouTube astroinfluencers

900SL

I currently only subscribe to Ed Ting, Astro La Vista (Chris), Refreshing Views (Marco Radice) and Astro Biscuit but clearly need to widen my net based on the great lists above. I also love the Actual Astronomy podcast - if you love visual it’s definitely worth a listen and broadcast weekly.

• Like 1

Blimey!! Astro bloggers, personalities, influencers, persuaders, assurers, validators, wafflers...so much NOISE!!🤦😱😭

I'll stick to SGL, books and The Sky above my head, thanks!!😊

Dave

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Blimey!! Astro bloggers, personalities, influencers, persuaders, assurers, validators, wafflers...so much NOISE!!🤦😱😭

I'll stick to SGL, books and The Sky above my head, thanks!!😊

Dave

First thing in the thread that I've understood!  😉

Doug.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

52 Night Sky - Remco Hekker in the Netherlands, because he thaught me to set  up and use platesolving and polar alignement in Kstars/Ekos. Been a year since his last video, wish he got back on the horse....

BorealisLite - Gary from Canada, because he thaught me to master Siril, not just run it in the default scriptmode. He also have a few tips on processing in Gimp, the place where I do most of my processing.......

AstroStace - Stacey from the UK, because she thaught me what clipping is, and how to avoid it. She also have videos that explain the maths and algorithms behind stacking, flats and biases, and other technical  things that's nice to know, but others avoid......

• Like 3

I've seen the odd youtube astro video but they mostly have been about astrophotography which isn't my thing. I've not heard of many of the channels mentioned here but I will be checking them out.

When it comes to youtube and hobbies though I have had an interesting experience regarding another hobby (chess) where I will play the game online and get right into it, then I'll get into watching it on youtube, then after a while I would realise I had stopped playing it myself and all I was doing was watching other (better) people playing it on youtube! So now I don't play anymore because I know all that will happen is I just end up watching other people playing it on youtube instead.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paz said:

I've seen the odd youtube astro video but they mostly have been about astrophotography which isn't my thing. I've not heard of many of the channels mentioned here but I will be checking them out.

When it comes to youtube and hobbies though I have had an interesting experience regarding another hobby (chess) where I will play the game online and get right into it, then I'll get into watching it on youtube, then after a while I would realise I had stopped playing it myself and all I was doing was watching other (better) people playing it on youtube! So now I don't play anymore because I know all that will happen is I just end up watching other people playing it on youtube instead.

I find that there's some kind of time dilation effect when binge watching media, it's so addictive that I need to persuade both my self and my kids to go out for walks in the country just to get away from it for a while and be in the real world. Chess is cool though :) 

• Like 2

There are some other channels that I subscribe to, only distantly related to astronomy 

Scott Manley, a bit of everything space related 

Sabine Hosenfelder pretty serious science 

NASA Spaceflight 

The Angry Astronaut, some serious rants!

The Everyday Astronaut, easy to watch, but he has some deep dives into rocket science.

• Like 4

On 09/06/2022 at 16:49, Ratlet said:

PBS Space Time are both excellent resources if you want to know more on a cosmological sense.

That's my go-to for quick cosmology. 

While maybe a bit of a rebel, The Fabulous Dr. H. (Sabine Hossenfelder) is always interesting, especially the discussions that follow anything she posts.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

There are some other channels that I subscribe to, only distantly related to astronomy 

Scott Manley, a bit of everything space related 

Sabine Hosenfelder pretty serious science 

NASA Spaceflight 

The Angry Astronaut, some serious rants!

The Everyday Astronaut, easy to watch, but he has some deep dives into rocket science.

Deffo NASA Spaceflight for Starship launches.

James Lamb has some brilliant tech explanatory videos. I actually understood his entire video on FWHM

Astrobiscuit reminds me too much of Richard Hammond, with a bit too much 'personality'

Trevor Jones, sold his soul to product placement a while back and the 'Trevor Jones designed Scope' didn't do him many favours. 

Alyn Wallace, love his Milky Way travel stuff (where I started by astroquest)

Peter Zelinka .. I think he was my first YT mentor for astro. Learned the basics from his channel, don't watch it these days as I find he skips over deeper stuff. 

• Like 3

On 09/06/2022 at 23:25, Pixies said:

Ironically, even though I'm purely visual, the YT channels I watch are mainly astrophotography - Nico Carver, Backyard, THAT Australia chap, AstroBiscuit. The latter 2 mainly for amusement.

Ed Ting is great though.  He really gets over his great experience with hundreds of scopes.

Oh - and not forgetting Astro La Vista! ;)

What's the matter with this Wido chap? I haven't watched him before.

Wido talks a lot but doesn't know much. Which he freely admits. I caught a few of his 'recommended mount/scope' videos, he'd put them together from Google specs, no real experience of most of the products. A legend in his own dining room.. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Astrobiscuit - Just on a whole other level of story telling and production values. I know someone mentioned they didn't like that he asks for money to support his channel but you simply can't put weeks of work into a video and have no money coming in, especially when you live in London (I know he attempted to make YT a full time job at one point

I have to disagree,  There are plenty of other youtubers producing great material without the begging. He literally looks into the  camera and asks people to send him a tenner to buy kit.  It's hard times for everyone. 

• Like 3

I'm sure someone recommended a good podcast to listen to on this thread? I was going to give it a bash whilst I attempted to tame the kitchen but I can't find it now. 

42 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

He literally looks into the  camera and asks people to send him a tenner to buy kit.  It's hard times for everyone. 

I can't recall him point blank asking viewers for a tenner, but if that's the case then I agree with you (I was thinking you meant the usual mentioning of affiliate links etc)

I've contributed to his channel several times as I know how much work he puts into his videos, and I'd be surprised at myself if I'd done so after he point blank looked into the camera and asked for a tenner. Has he done this a lot and can you remember which videos? I'm curious now so will have to re watch them.     

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm sure someone recommended a good podcast to listen to on this thread? I was going to give it a bash whilst I attempted to tame the kitchen but I can't find it now. 

I like listening to Awesome Astronomy podcasts 👍

Cuiv is back! 😊

Also a new YouTube panel show. Space Oddities is a new show from the panel members from the sadly passed Reach out Touch Space show from Astro Radio. They air every Monday evening from 8pm on YouTube 👍. Really interesting show for everything astro. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Cuiv is back! 😊

Awesome Astronomy is really good for general space.

Actual Astronomy is for stargazing.  It's pretty much purely observational, but it's awesome.  It's just 2 Canadian guys talking about their week observing, what kit they've got and general advice about observing.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 3

On 09/06/2022 at 21:46, Steve Ward said:

Rob Dalby and the sorely missed Ralph Bell R.I.P. on the Astronomy and Nature TV channel are a great source of gen , especially for beginners .

https://www.youtube.com/c/AstronomyAndNatureTV/videos

Robert Dalby strongly influenced my first telescope package purchase. The telescope has since been (regretfully) sold however the mount and tripod are still used.

Despite being primarily an observer, I do have a mild interest in astrophotography and Nico Carver's channel is fantastic for DSLR users imho.

As an AZGTi owner, The Lazy Geek has been invaluable.

Ed Ting purely for his experience and wisdom.

I've likely watched most of the channels mentioned but those above have probably had the most influence or been most useful.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Speeling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Cuiv is back! 😊

Yeah! awh I'm glad he's back! and buried in astro filters by the looks of it! 😅

Me too Lee, I especially like Dr Jens enthusiasm.  

• Like 1

PBS Spacetime (I thought my humor was dry), Sabine Hossenfelder, Space Official (launches), Astrum, The Science Asylum (his personality is a lot, but no one explains complex ideas better), Huygens Optics

Ed Ting, Eyes on the Sky, Learntostargaze, Catching Photons, Dakota Starry Nights, Reflactor, Astrobiscuit (just for fun). 

• Like 1