Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good and not so good YouTube astroinfluencers

900SL

I like Ed Ting, even though i am maybe 95% imaging and he is the opposite. His presentation style is very easy to enjoy even though i am not even remotely interested in buying some 16'' dob that he is reviewing.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I like Ed Ting, even though i am maybe 95% imaging and he is the opposite. His presentation style is very easy to enjoy even though i am not even remotely interested in buying some 16'' dob that he is reviewing.

Ironically, even though I'm purely visual, the YT channels I watch are mainly astrophotography - Nico Carver, Backyard, THAT Australia chap, AstroBiscuit. The latter 2 mainly for amusement.

Ed Ting is great though.  He really gets over his great experience with hundreds of scopes.

Oh - and not forgetting Astro La Vista! ;)

What's the matter with this Wido chap? I haven't watched him before.

• Like 2

I watch most of the main astro channels but my favourite tend to be Chucks Astrophotography and Astronomy Shed. Unfortunately Dion on AS no longer participates in the hobby but his videos are very good. They are informative but not glossy or over produced. That's appealing to me as the amateur/enthusiast as they feel more honest. Chuck has had many APODs though he does seem to have different rig for every target!

29 minutes ago, Ags said:

I am fully self-influencing

I just counted and I have subscribed to 45 YT Astro channels.  I think that makes me fully influenced 😂  In my defence I do thinks it’s a reflection of the extraordinary amount of cloud cover that seems to permanently reside over East Lancashire.

My two penneth would be Astrobloke for really technical mechanical stuff if you want to know about the innards of your Mount.  Astrofarsography has done some pretty useful equipment reviews and Martins Astrophotography was very helpful when I started out - fairly sure he used to be a teacher as he explains stuff very clearly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

does seem to have different rig for every target!

That fella must be a gizillionaire - was watching one vid and he brought out a “spare” ZWO 1600!

1 hour ago, 900SL said:

But Wido.. please. Just shut up.

Just had a pop up say he’s Moon watching live now if you fancy tuning in 😂

26 minutes ago, Priesters said:

I just counted and I have subscribed to 45 YT Astro channels.  I think that makes me fully influenced 😂  In my defence I do thinks it’s a reflection of the extraordinary amount of cloud cover that seems to permanently reside over East Lancashire.

My two penneth would be Astrobloke for really technical mechanical stuff if you want to know about the innards of your Mount.  Astrofarsography has done some pretty useful equipment reviews and Martins Astrophotography was very helpful when I started out - fairly sure he used to be a teacher as he explains stuff very clearly.

Another vote for Martin. He has a clear well set out approach. And I like Astrofarsographys approach. A modest man 

• Like 3

On youtube:

AstroLaVista and Astrobloke do some of the best domestic content imho.  Less of the big flashy stuff, lot more on the more accessible equipment.  I absolutely love Ed Ting even though the things he talks about, I could never afford.

Patriot Astro has been churning out some amazing NINA tutorials.

The Astroimaging Channel is basically a collection of lectures on the hobby.  Very interesting but still a lecture.

Kurzgesagt and PBS Space Time are both excellent resources if you want to know more on a cosmological sense.

On Pod Casts:

Awesome Astronomy and Actual Astronomy.  Awesome Astronomy is basically a talk shoe about space.  Actual Astronomy is basically two Canadians talking about what they have observed and how they observe.  It sounds like it should be awful, but I've driven something like 4000 miles in the last 3 months and its the only thing I've had on in the car.  They put out a huge amount of material too.  Usually 2 episodes a week.  Further proof that visual astronomers get more done.

• Like 3

Astrobackyard (Trevor Jones), Astroforum (Wido), Ed Ting, Astro la Vista, Dylon, the VERY noisy Ausi (turn the music down mate!), A.V.Astronomy, Astrobiscuit, Helina's Astrophotography, Sky At Night monthly. 

Edited by Laurieast

8 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Its like watching a show from the 90’s. His voice and outfit i guess.  But very nice to hear his opinion.  

And yes we miss Cuiv the lazy(adhd) Geek.  

+1 for Anton Petrov, always short educational clips.

AstroBackyard has become a sort of TellSell.  

AstroBiscuit is very fun to watch

Chuck, the not so technical sunAddict.  We recently witnessed some domestic arguments while he didnt realize his liveStream was active😅

• Like 1

Ed ting , Lucmatico , visible dark , Dylan odonell, James lamb ,Astrobloke, Hogarth , iceman Astro ,Andy of Astro,Frosth adtrophotography,small optics,martins astrophotography,Russell’s astrophotography,Astro pilot,Mitch ,heavenly backyard Astronomy, Alaskan Astro,Astro Exploring, Exo photography,Astroaddict,Astrofarsography, 

• Like 1

When I started this astronomy lark all of 18 months ago the people I initially followed mostly were Peter Zelinka and Trevor Jones and then later when I could finally start to understand this new language Cuiv has been a great influence.

It's a pity that Cuiv is taking a break, possibly something to do with his injury maybe.

For starting in astrophotography with my low cost and lightweight gear Andrea Minoea (sp) has been a tour de force.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Its like watching a show from the 90’s. His voice and outfit i guess.  But very nice to hear his opinion.  

Astronomical Bob Ross.  Only with less paint and more (although not enough) 8" Dobs

• Haha 2

Oh gawd where do I start!

Lukomatico -  Really likeable appreciative guy and talented astrophotographer. Always makes time to answer everyones comments, thoroughly nice bloke. 

Astrobiscuit - Just on a whole other level of story telling and production values. I know someone mentioned they didn't like that he asks for money to support his channel but you simply can't put weeks of work into a video and have no money coming in, especially when you live in London (I know he attempted to make YT a full time job at one point)

Dylon O'Donnell - He's got a dry and slightly rude sense of humour which I like and he knows his stuff, good astro entertainment. 

Small Optics - Jason's channel is great for anyone who is starting out, lots of useful beginner information and very budget minded. Really humble nice bloke! 

Cuiv the lazy geek - Hope he comes back to YT at some point, really great for tutorials on subjects such as NINA, and made some epic videos on the AZ GTI as well as being really funny and likeable. 

Nebula Photos - Amazing deep dive comparison videos and Nico has everything on point right down to the sound quality of his videos. Also seems like a great guy, I was reading through his comments the other week and it dawned on me that he knew all the small astro channels on a first name basis! Impressed. 

Astrofarsography - Ruzeen is another very likeable guy, some great tutorials and monthly sky guides for imaging on his channel. He doesn't post quite so much now days.  

Ollies astro: Australian youtuber so great for seeing the parts of the sky that are not normally accessible to us, again really nice bloke and talented musician (he mixes astro with piano and guitar)

Micro Four Nerds - Emily is a professional wedding photography but also dabbles with astrophotography and wild life photos with the M43 system. I have a soft spot for M43 cameras despite not currently owning any M43 gear, and Emily is a pleasure to listen to. Some great lens reviews too. 

Melody Sheep - mind blowing universe experience...this is the only way I can describe it.

Dr Becky - She's blumming clever and can talk perfectly for ages in one take without making a mistake..great channel for keeping up with the academic side of astro and space missions such as JWT. 

Alyn Wallace - amazing landscape astrophotographer full stop.

Jenhams Astro - Straight forward to the point no messing reviews of astronomy equipment, he especially likes his Mak's 

I also watch a lot of photography channels :)

• Like 5