SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First write up for a long time

As per a previous thread in a different section, I have been loaned an 8” Dob for the rest of the year! Thank you fellow SGL’r you know who you are and I am very grateful.

I managed to get out last night and do an hours Lunar observing, a first for me with a Dob, and the first observation with anything bigger than a six inch newt. The difference is well worth it. Turns out I have gelled with the Dob, it seems totally natural to me.

Firstly the area. Montes Alpes / Montes Caucasus / Montes Haemus to a lesser degree and  Montes Apennine’s.

Alpes. Mons Piton was 10/10 Best I have ever seen. Piazza Smyth and Kirch clearly visible. Mons Pico normally my favourite but now in battle with Piton. Montes Tenerife a little less illuminated but still showing well.

At this point I am using the 28mm 2” ep from SW but move over to my 1.25” Orion SP at 25mm and it is slightly sharper, so I go back and repeat. Some of this maybe due to the evening getting cooler of course.

Vallis Alpes needs no introduction or words from me. Cassini was fantastic, like lopsided bogeyed monster.

AP 15 site - Rima Hadley showing very well. There appears to be another fine Rima just below Mons Ampere, ending below Mons Wolff?

Another surprise for me heading east, enough of Montes Haemus was still illuminated and showing shadow. That large notch in MH was a standout as was Sulpicius Gallus and not marked on the app Moon Globe or Philips moon map, but marked on my starter scope give away map, Dorsum Buckland.

A quick look south along the terminator and complex Alphonsus, Alpetragius, Arzachel, Purbach. Thebit with it’s overlapping smaller crater leading to Rupes Recta that just developed in only one hour to show the fault line and second eye.

I am now a complete Dob convert.

Marvin

• Like 2