SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen Polaris head - mounting options?

Peter_D

Hi,

What are my mounting options if I acquired a Vixen Polaris head (it is currently on the seller's pillar).  

Would it be compatible with a SW EQ5 / HEQ5 extension which uses a M10 bolt for example?

I also have a Vixen GP mount.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Clear skies

Peter

I think the mount head and tripod head would fit an EQ5 tripod, but I'm not sure the mount head on its own would fit well. The central bolt fixing in the head is only 20mm diameter, not sure what the hole size in an EQ5 tripod head is.

Images of my Polaris below, which happens to be for sale...with a tripod 😉

IMG_20220607_191128916.jpg

IMG_20220607_191230051.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have the Vixen GP on a Vixen AL110 tripod, the tripod head has a 60mm diameter locating hole which my Vixen polaris did not fit. I believe the EQ5 also has a 60mm locating hole ?

It sounds like the newer HAL110 has a smaller locating hole so the Polaris may fit.

This may help…..

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/connection_specifications.html

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

SP and GP have 60mm snouts and fit most tripods, EQ5, older Vixen HAL etc. Vixen changed the GP snout to 45mm when the SX tripods came out, there is a 60mm-45mm adaptor available for using older mounts with newer tripods. Looking at the 20mm snout on the base of the old Polaris seems it would fit in any of these tripods as long as the bolt is tightened right up. You could always pack out the 20mm snout with thick tape to make it up to 60mm. I think, as @skybadger says, it will work fine on an EQ5 type tripod. I doubt you would be able to use the azimuth pin though, the Polaris azimuth screws appear to be over 2" away from the center bolt???

Edited by Franklin
  • Thanks 1

The mount came yesterday. Since I bought it, I read up more on it and it's actually a New Polaris Mount - a little disappointed that it cannot be used in Alt-Az mode like the Polaris. I believe it was probably made for Tasco because it doesn't say Vixen on it but has a circle V symbol on the polar scope hole cover. The telescope that it came with must have been pretty light because the counter weight will need to be added to if I want to use anything more than my 90 Mak.

Apart from that, I'm very happy that it fits snugly on my Eq5 extension column. Solidly built with a smooth operation. It also came with a nice saddle clamp and slow motion cables. 

IMG_20220611_201945591.jpg

That's a nice mount for a smallish scope. The Vixen stuff is made very well, I've got 30 year old Vixen mounts which still run buttery smooth.

Are you sure it won't flip over to al-taz. Looks to be very similar to the original Polaris, just the altitude clamp is set at an angle rather than straight up. I suppose it all depends if the lower end of the RA axis will swing into the mount housing.

Long live Vixen👍.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Franklin said:

That's a nice mount for a smallish scope. The Vixen stuff is made very well, I've got 30 year old Vixen mounts which still run buttery smooth.

Are you sure it won't flip over to al-taz. Looks to be very similar to the original Polaris, just the altitude clamp is set at an angle rather than straight up. I suppose it all depends if the lower end of the RA axis will swing into the mount housing.

Long live Vixen👍.

I had another look at the alt az and you are correct, the polar axis can be flipped up and  the mount can be operated in alt az mode! 

Did a bit more research with the counter weights - the threaded ones are very hard to find, it seems most people just use a nut and nylon washers and secure a normal CW this way.

IMG_20220612_204242331.thumb.jpg.1aaebf408f1760cc02b42d916d4d7606.jpg

Edited by Peter_D
  • Like 1

The New Polaris is quite a find really, quite scarce, Vixen didn't make them for very long.

Here's a picture of the original Polaris from Vixens 1981 catalogue and another from 1985 showing the Super Polaris. So your New Polaris was briefly produced sometime between 1982 and 1984 making it around 40 years old.

Web capture_12-6-2022_21542_yumarin7.sakura.ne.jp.jpeg

Web capture_12-6-2022_21716_yumarin7.sakura.ne.jp.jpeg

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 2