Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Disassembling a Vixen SXD2 Mount?

900SL

I live in the desert of the mind. It's quite sandy and dusty of course, so at some point I'll need to do preventative maintenance on my lovely SXD2 to stop premature wear on gears, worms and axles.

Only problem is that despite a thorough trawl of the Google, so far I've found precisely zilch in respect of any tear down or basis disassembly for cleaning and regressing.

I'd like to think this is because they are so well made that they run for years without needing much tuning, however that does leave me without much to go on. 

Anybody ever tackled an SXD or SXD2 and could point me in the right direction?

I have never seen any reference to this either. There is plenty of info on stripping down the EQ5 and the HEQ5 but I've never seen anyone stripping down a Vixen mount. Didn't think you needed to, don't they just work? I've got smaller Vixen mounts that are 30 years old and they still work flawlessly. If you've ever stripped down a HEQ5, I would think that the SX range of mounts would be quite similar inside.

The structure of the SXD2 is more similar to the Vixen Sphynx series and you should find info on the dismantling for say an SXW on line. They both have a block with the 2 motors attached but the axis bearing assemblies are very different. Away at moment but will try and find pictures of my SXW part stripped down.

Never have needed to touch my SXD2 and expect the bearings would need  very careful adjustment on reassembly (based on dismantling Vixen AP recently). Unless there is excess play, noise or binding suggest you leave well alone.  My SXD2 came from the factory with some drag on both axes, and is still like that after 7 yrs.

(Long term  Vixen user) (btw I use moderate settings for motor power and slew speed, which you will find in the manual and menu, this keeps wear to a minimum too).

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 3

I have an original SXW with the original Starbook controller. Having upgraded from an LXD 75 that required a strip down after about every four uses, I also looked for instructions. 16 years later I have not progressed beyond being able to remove the inspection covers over the gears. I never had to open it up. As per above, I also run it at slowest speeds. I recently did see  a Vixen video cleaning a first generation type SXD  mount. Unfortunately I have no link. and being in Japanese, I do not have much details.

Donal

Another Drizzle Dweller

• Like 1