Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Standalone guiding camera

GazOC

coco, only time will tell.

Been lucky enough to have one bought for me for my forthcoming birthday, but my better half has told me I can't use it till then ;)

As I've only got a Canon 450D as image device it fits in quite nicely without having to lug laptops, more cables and equipment about.

Just need to get my guide scope and dual mount sorted by then...

Roll on May! :rolleyes:

Will let you know how I get on.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
coco, only time will tell.

Been lucky enough to have one bought for me for my forthcoming birthday, but my better half has told me I can't use it till then :)

As I've only got a Canon 450D as image device it fits in quite nicely without having to lug laptops, more cables and equipment about.

Just need to get my guide scope and dual mount sorted by then...

Roll on May! :)

Will let you know how I get on.

Alan

Nearly May!!

I'm waiting ;)

Guy

Orion Telescopes has just come out with the Orion StarShoot

Solitaire: $599.95 US

Orion StarShoot Solitaire AutoGuider - Telescope.com

From Orion's Webpage:

• Complete autoguiding system that does not require using a laptop computer
  • Automatically calibrates, detects guide star and adjusts exposure
  • 6 micron x 6 micron pixel size yields high sensitivity and accurate guiding
  • Ideal for astrophotographers using DSLR cameras
  • LCD screen displays real-time guide star location on chip, star focus quality, and displays tracking graph during guiding
  • User-friendly control box interface
  • Clear and clean red LCD display and backlit buttons with adjustable brightness
  • 6mm parfocal eyepiece included for easy guide star acquisition and focus

We've taken user-friendly, affordable autoguiding to the next level with our StarShoot Solitaire! Autoguiding is vital for obtaining clear and crisp long-exposure astrophotos with pinpoint star resolution. Laptop computers have long been a required component for autoguider control, but they can be an inconvenience in the field. This innovative, stand-alone autoguiding camera provides a streamlined solution - a laptop computer is no longer required for autoguider control!

The StarShoot Solitaire AutoGuider includes a control box and all the necessary cabling to begin autoguiding right out of the box. The control interface is intuitive and user-centric, allowing anyone to masterfully operate the autoguider right away. Simply connect the Solitaire to the control box and mount, plug into a power source, and start autoguiding!

The StarShoot Solitaire is ideal for DSLR users who don't necessarily need a computer to control their imaging system. Think of the money you'll save on computer hardware costs, not to mention the energy needed to power your computer system. This convenient alternative also significantly lessens the chance for computer crashes or other imaging system malfunctions.

The Solitaire AutoGuider makes it possible for almost anyone to start enjoying the fascinating and rewarding world of astrophotography, without the need for an expensive or overly complicated imaging setup. The built-in logic behind the Solitaire's control pad allows you to guide with pushbutton ease. the Solitaire's sensor is powered by a 1/3" format Aptina MT9V032 CMOS chip, with a 752x480 pixel layout and 6 micron x 6 micron pixel size for high sensitivity and accurate autoguiding. As such, the Solitaire can be used with smaller, less expensive guide scopes. The autoguider camera also features a machined aluminum design with a black anodized finish, and weighs just 3.8 oz.

This smart autoguider automatically calibrates itself and detects guidestars, adjusting the exposure accordingly. It works with all equatorial mounts equipped with ST-4 compatible autoguide port, including the SkyView Pro GoTo, Sirius EQ-G, and Atlas EQ-G mounts.

The total package includes the autoguider camera, control box, 6mm parfocal eyepiece for easy guide star acquisition and focus, 7' camera cable (to control box), 7' autoguide cable (to mount), 10' power cable, and hard foam-lined carrying case.

In short, the StarShoot Solitaire AutoGuider provides a simple, yet elegant, autoguiding solution for beginning and experienced astrophotographers alike. Discover the benefits of affordable, precision autoguiding for deep-sky imaging, without the need for a laptop computer. Pick up an Orion StarShoot Solitaire AutoGuider today! One year limited warranty.

Nearly May!!

I'm waiting :(

Guy

Unfortunately she's made it very clear that i'm not allowed to open it till the 20th May, so just watch it be crystal clear the week before and then :) for weeks after.

just need to get a guide scope sorted now....that will keep me occupied in the mean time figuring out what i'm going to get.

regards

Alan (who's not counting down the time till he can actually use it, honest... :))

A few friends of mine from the local astro soc have ordered a job lot of these so I am looking forward to see how they perform. I can imagine they would be very useful to DSLR users who regularly image in the field, but maybe not so useful to CCD users and back-garden imagers.

Archived