Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn 2nd June

Not sure what was going on with my polar alignment. but i had continual drift. will have to test this and find out what was going on ?

Stella lyra 8" CC. ZWO ADC.  QHY 462 Camera. EQ5PRO. IR UV CUT 

2nd june.png r (2).png 50. g3.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Some lovely colour banding detail coming through Neil. I really am amazed for so early in the season do you think the 8"CC cuts through the murk a bit easier than the big newt.

TBH Martyn. I am unsure. Ultimately the Newtonian will do better. But that's not really what your asking. So hard for me to answer yet. I suspect not in the long run though.  There certainly might be advantages with poor conditions, and a slightly smaller scope and sharp optics. ( But then resolution is limited )  Apparently ADCs work better with barlows in front of them. But i am oversampled doing so. I am using a ADC with no barlow. And it seems to focus nicely. Focuses nice and sharp. Not overpowered. Focal length is a little low. ( using no barlow ) But the advantage is sharp captures. perfect for early poorer conditions. So far seems to be working reasonably well. I would have done better here had my polar alignment not gone awol. It was constantly in motion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Apparently ADCs work better with barlows in front of them. But i am oversampled doing so.

Yes I am just coming across this problem myself Neil. I think I will do the same as yourself and go with no barlow especially early in the season. My sct does enable me to move the mirror up the tube so I can add spacers on the back to help increase the focal length which should help? I wonder if one of your tripod legs sunk in the ground while you were imaging which could explain your polar alignment Woe's. Still a superb image Neil despite your alignment setback.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...