Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier marathon book

I have up until now just viewed the Messier catalogue totally at random. It’s high time I undertook the marathon in a structured manner. Are there any good books that I could peruse to assist me somewhat? I have seen numerous, but wanted to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks 

This is a copy of the sequence suggested by Don Machholz.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lIKUywI95QJdrelI31vLJD4NhkJjgN5EZmeAP9k3ak8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I derived it from this webpage for an attempt over the first moonless weekend this April 

https://spacetourismguide.com/messier-marathon/

I understand that it'll be updated for next year's date. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

This is a copy of the sequence suggested by Don Machholz.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lIKUywI95QJdrelI31vLJD4NhkJjgN5EZmeAP9k3ak8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I derived it from this webpage for an attempt over the first moonless weekend this April 

https://spacetourismguide.com/messier-marathon/

I understand that it'll be updated for next year's date. 

Thanks for that, I’ll be reading this later.

You can email Don Machholz and buy direct from him  dontheastronomer@gmail.com     - I was delighted to receive mine with a personalised message from him, which when you consider he's the discoverer of 12 comets is a thing worth having! 

Its a great book, the running order, which Messiers are available when, best dates to run a marathon out to 2050,  and finder charts & finding notes, and other data its a real in-the-field-guide, 

image.png.d6b5ff022031451b9f74e2c91b017582.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

You can email Don Machholz and buy direct from him  dontheastronomer@gmail.com     - I was delighted to receive mine with a personalised message from him, which when you consider he's the discoverer of 12 comets is a thing worth having! 

Its a great book, the running order, which Messiers are available when, best dates to run a marathon out to 2050,  and finder charts & finding notes, and other data its a real in-the-field-guide, 

image.png.d6b5ff022031451b9f74e2c91b017582.png

Thanks for this. I’ll get an email sent to him straight away. This is exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for.👍

• Like 1

On 01/06/2022 at 16:00, bosun21 said:

I have up until now just viewed the Messier catalogue totally at random. It’s high time I undertook the marathon in a structured manner. Are there any good books that I could peruse to assist me somewhat? I have seen numerous, but wanted to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks 

Just thought I would say that you need to take care of the most southern targets. I can say I am 110 of 110 but it is no boast. 
I managed 109 of 110 for a whole year and M68 in Hydra (the really low to the horizon bit) nearly killed me.

I am not kidding you it started to become an obsession. The weather and opportunity being so short. It is almost as bad as the ‘All the planets in one go challenge” which I have never forgiven #stu for.

I spent the whole night out and missed it by one Venus due to cloud. Beware lists they are the devil. Any comment Stu?
Marv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just thought I would say that you need to take care of the most southern targets. I can say I am 110 of 110 but it is no boast. 
I managed 109 of 110 for a whole year and M68 in Hydra (the really low to the horizon bit) nearly killed me.

I am not kidding you it started to become an obsession. The weather and opportunity being so short. It is almost as bad as the ‘All the planets in one go challenge” which I have never forgiven #stu for.

I spent the whole night out and missed it by one Venus due to cloud. Beware lists they are the devil. Any comment Stu?
Marv

Thanks for the warning . I probably would get somewhat obsessive over completing the list of Messier targets. But at the same time I will probably derive a lot of enjoyment out of it.

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Marv

Well sir, I still haven’t completed the Messier catalogue after twenty two plus years of observing, so you are well up on me there! I’m in the high eighties I think, so just need to find a bit of motivation to finish it off.

Thank you for the seven planet reminder though, that was a really memorable night, one that will stay with me for a very long time.

• Like 1

I recently bought a copy of 110 things by John Read to use with my teenage nephews on a recent trip - may be too basic for you but covers the Messier catalogue in seasonal observing order and references the marathon and the various certificates you can be awarded (Canadian/US biased though). 
May be all you need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/110-Things-See-Telescope-Stargazing/dp/1777451752

• Thanks 1