Narrowband

Meade Telescopes at FLO

This is good news. However, it is interesting to note that Orion US has taken over Meade. It was Orion US that filed the lawsuit that brought Meade to bankruptcy in 2019, and gave Orion $16.8 million in damages.

I love my 14" Meade SCT. It is a deforked LX200R, so it is the original "ACF" that Meade first called "R", as they claimed it was a RitcheyChrétien design. That was not entirely correct so they got sued for that too and had to rename it "ACF".

I hope they now stay out of trouble👍

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 07:59, gorann said:

This is good news. However, it is interesting to note that Orion US has taken over Meade. It was Orion US that filed the lawsuit that brought Meade to bankruptcy in 2019, and gave Orion $16.8 million in damages.

My understanding is Meade were acquired by a Chinese manufacturer. Orion accused the manufacturer of anti-competitive behaviour, and won. The manufacturer then put Meade into administrative bankruptcy. Orion stepped in to rescue Meade from liquidation with a reorganisation plan effective June 1, 2021. 

That was then and this is now 🙂 

On 30/07/2022 at 07:59, gorann said:

... they claimed it was a RitcheyChrétien design. That was not entirely correct so they got sued for that too and had to rename it "ACF".

I vaguely remember this, I think it was around two decades ago (before FLO)! 

I think owners of significantly more expensive Ritchey–Chrétien telescopes were offended by Meade's use of the name so Meade renamed the series. Probably an over zealous marketing department. I don't recall anyone being sued. 

HTH, 

Steve 

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Back in the 80's I had a part set of Meade Research Grade Orthoscopics and they were fantastic, still kick myself to this day for selling them.

They were great! Had a couple of the 7mm RGOs and they were excellent, very sharp.

• Like 3