SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 dead? - Both axes no response

ddm4313

Was testing the EQ5 Pro today, but it kept saying Both axes no response. Was working fine around 3 days ago. Now it just keeps saying Both axes no response, what could be the issue here? Fried board? I've tried using my Celestron battery, tried two different power adapters yet nothing. The HC lights up fine, but it just says Both axes no response, you try to slew to object and it just gets stuck. 

I've been thinking about ordering an EQDIR cable, but if the HC port is screwed then what's the point?

You say "you try to slew to object and it just gets stuck. ", do either of the axis actually move with the hand controller or just don't respond at all?

It may sound obvious but are the cables to both axis pushed fully home?

51 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

You say "you try to slew to object and it just gets stuck. ", do either of the axis actually move with the hand controller or just don't respond at all?

It may sound obvious but are the cables to both axis pushed fully home?

No I mean I just use the HC to try to slew to object, it says slewing but it does not actually do anything. The cables are plugged in though. 

Maybe the HC is just banged up, it has fallen quite a few times on the ground. But I've ordered an EQDIR cable to see. I hope it is just the Hand controller. 

I will be checking again tomorrow to confirm that the cables are plugged in well, that there isn't maybe any spacing. 

52 minutes ago, StarryEyed said:

if they are both playing up it's got too be the controller or the power supply. 

It said it a few days ago too I believe, I recall something of the sort where it wouldn't slew. However that was simply the cables not being plugged. Now even when the cables are plugged it does not work. Both of the axes do not respond.

Edited by ddm4313

Well, I probably know what happened. I've just realized I've been using 19V power supply instead of 12V, though it worked for a while it probably fried something after I shut it off last time. Not sure if I should try to get someone to fix it, or just buy a replacement.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, ddm4313 said:

Well, I probably know what happened. I've just realized I've been using 19V power supply instead of 12V, though it worked for a while it probably fried something after I shut it off last time. Not sure if I should try to get someone to fix it, or just buy a replacement.

Oops... Much that it likes slightly more than 12v I think 19 might be too much for it.. might be worth looking at the board, especially where the power socket is

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Oops... Much that it likes slightly more than 12v I think 19 might be too much for it.. might be worth looking at the board, especially where the power socket is

I got one of family members to take a look at it, says that something isn't giving enough power so indeed it may be that something got fried and isn't working properly. Gonna get the board to someone experienced to see if they can fix it, if nothing I just order the replacement box.

Hello, make sure you have 5amps--although I have a similar issue with my Orion mount pro -- sent it back twice and no change and it was under warranty! :-  (

A friend will look at it, bought a CGX mount.

6 hours ago, ddm4313 said:

I got one of family members to take a look at it, says that something isn't giving enough power so indeed it may be that something got fried and isn't working properly. Gonna get the board to someone experienced to see if they can fix it, if nothing I just order the replacement box.

Was it a laptop power source?  

Just made me think that it likes more than 12v, some use them at 13.8v but it's the amps that fry the boards.. 

13 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I think the upper limit is 15v for these, believe it says that in the manual but its been a while since I looked at that. I use a 12v 5A buck converter to regulate the power to mine when hooking up the car starter LiPo pack since open circuit that delivers above 12v, might be 16v from memory. 

19v will blow the board.  If you are lucky you will have just damaged the regulation in the PSU rails, worst case, you've blown the micro-controllers on the board and they would need replacing with reprogrammed ones.  Does the synscan unit the motors plug into have a USB port or does it just have the two RJ ports for the handset and ST4 cable ? - If its the latter I can take a look and see if the board is repairable.  The process is documented in this lengthy thread, but I've managed to resurrect several synscan board over the past two years.  If the synscan is one of the modern boards with a USB port then regretfully I don't have the ability to reprogram an ARM processor used in these new boards.

If the board is one of the older designs and want me to take a look drop me a PM 

Edited by malc-c
typo
  • Like 3