Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Temporarily unmodding an astro modded Canon 250D

Jiggy 67

Hi all,

I have a modded Canon 250d, in that the UV IR Cut filter has been removed and the sensor brought forward slightly.

Although the camera’s main use will be astro I would like to use for normal photography as well. Is there a clip on filter that can be attached to either the camera or a lens that will effectively un-mod the camera for daytime use?…or is this not possible??

On 02/06/2022 at 08:01, Dan_Paris said:

This one :

https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-owb-ccd-typ-iii.html

although I'm not sure it'd work if the sensor is not in its original position?

Thanks Dan, that looks perfect, however, whilst researching it I notice that it is compatible with numerous Canon DSLR’s but the 250d is not on the list. I cannot work out why because there is a version for the APS C sensor and many of the compatible cameras use the EF and EF-S lens mounting. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work so I might risk it and give it a go

On 31/05/2022 at 21:02, Jiggy 67 said:

Although the camera’s main use will be astro I would like to use for normal photography as well.

Don't most DSLR's have something called "Custom white-balance"? Seen it refered to, something about taking a picture agains a white paper sheet, and so fourth....

3 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

Don't most DSLR's have something called "Custom white-balance"? Seen it refered to, something about taking a picture agains a white paper sheet, and so fourth....

Correct, but it’s a right faff having to do it every time you change scene or subject 

So I found this. Appears to be exactly the same as the Astronomik version but half the price. Did a bit of research and it returns the camera to its pre-modded state but can be removed for Astro…..best of both worlds. Warning though for those considering it as well, it will not work with EF-S lenses as these lenses invade the space inside the camera, occupied by the filter. My camera (250d) is not on the list of compatible cameras but I can’t see why for the life of me, that it won’t work so fingers crossed. Thanks to @Dan_Paris for pointing me in the right direction 

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-owb-ccd-(original-white-balance)-clip-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras?search=optolong&page=2

On 04/06/2022 at 13:11, Jiggy 67 said:

So I found this. Appears to be exactly the same as the Astronomik version but half the price. Did a bit of research and it returns the camera to its pre-modded state but can be removed for Astro…..best of both worlds. Warning though for those considering it as well, it will not work with EF-S lenses as these lenses invade the space inside the camera, occupied by the filter. My camera (250d) is not on the list of compatible cameras but I can’t see why for the life of me, that it won’t work so fingers crossed. Thanks to @Dan_Paris for pointing me in the right direction 

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-owb-ccd-(original-white-balance)-clip-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras?search=optolong&page=2

I would guess the list of cameras is just not up to date -  it looks like it stops somewhere around 2015

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I would guess the list of cameras is just not up to date -  it looks like it stops somewhere around 2015

I think you’re right. It has arrived and fits perfectly. I’ve tried it out and it’s perfect, no pink tinge to pictures….recommend it for anyone who wants to duel purpose their cameras