Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Evolux 82 First Look

Clouds clearing away and just waiting for it to get dark. In the meantime had some good views of the moon. Nice and sharp with not a trace of false colour on the limb. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well while clear really murky and could only make oit two stars.Couldn’t even do a star test.

At least the moon was looking good and spent a while exploring the terminator and admiring the sharp contrasty views. Was surprised at the amount of detail that could be seen in Clavius despite only 82mm of aperture. A few craters could also be seen in Plato.as well. The Evolux82 isn’t supposed to be suitable for lunar observing according to SW  but it does a fine job with pleasing views.

What stood out was just how  exceptionally sharp and contrasty the views were with no traces of CA. As good as I remember the old StellaMira 80mm f/10 was on the moon despite the Evolux being a faster scope. So while we have no idea of the glass used on the Evolux the fact that it performs as well as the FPL53 in the StellaMira (at least for visual) on the moon says a lot.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More moon watching is needed uner different conditions to come to proper conclusions about the performance but first look was promising.

The 4mm Nirvana eyepiece was really comfortable with bright views. Was OK with the 2x focal extender as well but felt about a 2.0 or 2.5mm or so is worth getting a hold of. So it  looks like about 200x is usable on the moon but about 175 might give better views. More experimenting to come under better conditions is in. order.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Certainly sounds like a good start!

How do you find its portability? I am looking for the biggest affordable frac I can pack. Seriously thinking of selling my C6 to fund this.

Also was thinking about buying the 4mm Nirvana this morning while walking the dog.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ags said:

Certainly sounds like a good start!

How do you find its portability? I am looking for the biggest affordable frac I can pack. Seriously thinking of selling my C6 to fund this.

Also was thinking about buying the 4mm Nirvana this morning while walking the dog.

Very compact and portable. About 4kg with the finder, diag and eyepiece,  oh and the handle. You could save weight by using a 6x30 finder and a 1.25” diagonal.

41FD9EDB-07DF-4944-9D81-4C8FF7FA5222.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

Unexpected hole in the clouds so a spot pf moonwatching.🙂

Much better seeing tonight and while I thought the moon looked good last night tonight it was so much better. Views were stunning with superb detail and great contrast. Did use a Baader Neodymium filter as it’s my favourite moon filter. Couldn’t believe I was seeing so much fine detail in an 82mm scope. WOW.

Found a TMB Planetary 2.5mm eyepiece that I had forgotten about. Worked really well and probably about the best focal  length for lunar observing with this scope. Wonder how well a Tak TOE 2.5mm would work. 😁

Then used the 2x focal extender in combination with the TMB 2.5mm giving a mag of 423x and while the image showed more detail not as comfortable to use. This scope really will take some serious magnification though..🙀

F90E4A91-5593-4FB8-81EA-CAB9F0D31476.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

Small thing but found the finder was a bit far forward for comfortable use when seated but then realised there was a hole for a finder shoe on the focuser. Problem solved. Simply moved one of the finder shoes to the focuser and now more conveniently located.👍🏻

2117FD42-1062-4A95-8C85-E6FBBE089FF1.jpeg

383D5A23-6BFE-469C-86C0-7D6D0B497737.jpeg

870494B2-248D-4682-B995-AD92E63FCE12.jpeg

27EC5833-AF43-4DFC-B820-ED7DD9036FAC.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/06/2022 at 02:03, johninderby said:

Then used the 2x focal extender in combination with the TMB 2.5mm giving a mag of 423x and while the image showed more detail not as comfortable to use. This scope really will take some serious magnification though..

You are giving me a lot to think about. My Skymax 102 would stop showing more at around 150x, but you could go past 212x.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @johninderby as one of your previous post, I to am looking at maybe this apo, and as you I am torn between this, the SM 80ed f6.25, WO Z73 III, and the Altair Starwave 80 Ed R f7 to upgrade from my SW Starquest 102R as mentioned in this post for AP. Are you going to be doing any DSO with this? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the 62ED, and use it for Astrophotograpy. I bought only the OTA last summer because i didnt had much money. Hope to get the flattener next summer. Last summer i could lend 1 week the flattener from my local astroshop. Only could take M31 at that time (less than 45min final).

I think the optics arent different from the 62ED and 82ED. My geuss is FCD100, FPL53 or FPL55. All other older glass like FK61 and FPL51 you wont see much anymore in new ED scope. And Lichtenknecker as designer (they dont use cheap glass) is good also.

andromeda.thumb.png.17f56d11fc9aeedaceffdffe8c238e6f.png

Edited by Oxize
  • Like 3