Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orrery conundrum?

Chaz2b

I have a friend who is into repairing clocks, and does it to a high degree of finish. He has a James company orrery to which he needs to know a “start” in degrees as to where to set the planets on a particular day so it then moves relative to the correct motions of the planets up to Saturn. 
Can anyone point me to a link that would help in obtaining the info he requires? He tells me he has paperwork with the degree of each planet for ten different years upto 1989, but hasn’t found anything for 2022.MTI

So far I’ve found calculations up to 2020 from Cochranes of Oxford, but if there is a definitive list that would be of more value I think.

If it helps he would like to start it from the 1st July.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

Hello! Would the angles be relative to the position of the Earth? It looks like something you could calculate fairly easily using Python and Skyfield - the program would only be about 7 lines long!

I can help if you like? If you give me an existing calculation for a day I can understand what you want and also sanitly check any numbers I get before I bother you...

The calculations given from Cochranes are from the first day of the month, also relative from the sun.

I cannot download the page from their site, but it’s www.cochranes.co.uk. then astronomy then orrery, heliocentric longitudes.

Will that help?

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
Typo

33 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

The calculations given from Cochranes are from the first day of the month, also relative from the sun.

I cannot download the page from their site, but it’s www.cochranes.co.uk. then astronomy then orrery, heliocentric longitudes.

Will that help?

chaz

Ah I see! Yes - that helps!

I didn't have to write a program - here's an online model:

http://cosinekitty.com/solar_system.html

Untick realtime update, set Cartesian coodinates to Helicentric, Angular Coordinates to Ecliptic. Then stick your date in to get the numbers you want in the Ecl. Long. column.

I tested it against the table in your Cochranes link against a couple of years and got the same numbers.

• Thanks 1