Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble with eyepiece adapter

Hey all, I recently bought a Celestron NextStar 130SLT. I’ve been having a lot of trouble with it, especially with it’s 2” focuser. I have bought two “2 - 1 1/4” eyepiece adapters, both of which don’t fit at all, even after you screw in the screws for the holder that comes with the telescope. It makes collimating a living nightmare. I have searched online for reviews on this telescope, and I’ve noticed all have perfect 2” eyepiece adapters that fit perfectly, but I have yet to find where to buy those from. 

I was excited about this telescope, but this adapter issue has really killed any excitement I had for this telescope. I don’t know if I’m missing a piece or if I’m doing something wrong anymore. I could really use a hand here, thank you all.

• Like 1

Think the focuser is the same as the one fitted to some of the Skywatcher scopes  in which case the following applies.

You should have two eyepiece adaptors that came with the scope. A 1.25” and a 2” adaptor. You fit either one into the focuser. The focuser tube opening is bigger than two inches so a regular 1.25” to 2” adaptor won’t fit properly. 

Edited by johninderby

As per Jonhinderby, it comes with two adaptors, 2 and 1.25. You can then add a 1.25 reducer to the 2 inch adaptor.

I was not impressed with the focuser and adaptors when I got my 12" dob. For a few extra quid they could easily have put a decent focuser on instead.  

4 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

And the obvious question - did you buy it new or second hand? If new then it really should have come with suitable adapters. 

It was used, but the retailer claimed the telescope box had never been opened. Could be a possibility that when the telescope was audited for damage, they forgot to put in the adapter.

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

Think the focuser is the same as the one fitted to some of the Skywatcher scopes  in which case the following applies.

You should have two eyepiece adaptors that came with the scope. A 1.25” and a 2” adaptor. You fit either one into the focuser. The focuser tube opening is bigger than two inches so a regular 1.25” to 2” adaptor won’t fit properly. 

I bought this telescope used. Retailer said it was pretty much never opened, only for an audit since the external box had some damage. But it still didn’t arrive with those 2 adapters. I contacted the seller and waiting for a response. Do you know if it’s possible to get those adapters off a store? I have also contacted Celestron support to see if they can do something about it. 

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Can you post some photos please?

Here are some pictures I took of the focuser with the holder and the 2” - 1 1/4” adapter installed. It’s not very secure, very wobbly and can definitely fall off at the right angle. 

569D2345-685A-43A8-B78D-B89E5B17C477.jpeg

369B4C06-1C82-4B82-82CD-DA059E0B881D.jpeg

819E0E01-D5AF-401F-B8EE-E078FC7A0E12.jpeg

4C92CB1D-2303-4317-A60D-C358AA7A6AC2.jpeg

300F801E-EB7C-4D1A-9879-FC5041735C6E.jpeg

2DDD3325-320F-4780-9E9C-BC8C63870C32.jpeg

94035CBF-308D-4CD9-A733-009CEE8FC243.jpeg