SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 6888 HOO - a dissapointment

Rodd

Yes, it is a purchase plugin from the same stable as StarXterminator. I'm currently on the 30 day free trial but have been sufficiently impressed to purchase it when the trial comes to an end.

6 minutes ago, tomato said:

Yes, it is a purchase plugin from the same stable as StarXterminator. I'm currently on the 30 day free trial but have been sufficiently impressed to purchase it when the trial comes to an end.

I'll look into it, thanks

In basic form, it automates the process. You set the amount of noise reduction you want and press GO. The good thing about this script/process is that it removes noise from the background but leaves the detail in the main target.

The default noise reduction is 0.9 on the slider, but I found this is a bit too much in most cases. Somewhere between 0.6 & 0.8 will eliminate most of the noise without making the image look too flat & false. 

It's worth trying the free trial, even if just to see what it does. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 1

Well--thank you so much for the Starnet plug, Martin and others.  I was able to use it and I think it helped improve the image.  Here is my first ever image processed using the Starnet tool.  This is the same data reprocessed for the umpteenth time.  I decided to bin 2 instead of 3.  Other than that, my processing was only different in the fact that I separated the stars before implementing several techniques (noise control, sharpening, selective stretching and basic dynamic range tweaking)

After viewing on other screens, I think it is inferior.  No fault of the tool though.  My own ineptitude. (and the fact that all my screens look different)

Not sure which is actually better--I have 2 images on 4 screens that all look different.  So here are both.  Basically one is a bit brighter

Image49a.thumb.jpg.070c487e1854d31a0ddcbc3a8df47249.jpg

Image46b.thumb.jpg.e4903533796d29ffaf73eefec05cb713.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

Haven't had much opportunity for AP this year, so decided to dust off the processing cobwebs and have a crack at your data Rodd. And very nice data it is too! 

I used the full (90 sub) Ha stack and apart from using APP to remove some slight gradients and save some DDP stretches, everything was done in PS. The workflow was roughly as follows:

1. Saved a DDP stretch of both the Ha and Oiii, then ran Starnet2 on both, followed by a pass of NoiseXTerminator (first time using this, will definitely be buying once the trial is up). 

2. Made a Master Lum using both the Ha and Oiii above. The Oiii was added in Blend Mode Lighten, and then masked to only apply it selectively (otherwise it just made everything too flat looking). 

3. Added the Ha stars to the Master Lum, by stretching the linear Ha stack manually and adding it in Blend Mode Screen. 

4. Created a HOO blend in APP, and added as a Colour Layer in PS. 

5. A whole bunch of the usual adjustments, Levels, Curves, some use of the Camera Raw filter etc etc, too many to list (or remember!). 

If it were my own image, i would probably downscale it to 80% at the end of processing, but just decided to leave it full size. 

Thanks for sharing, and giving me the impetus to get back on the horse! 😃

1631929139_HOOv1.thumb.jpg.855b3618bfa5105b5dd5ec31bc65589f.jpg

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Haven't had much opportunity for AP this year, so decided to dust off the processing cobwebs and have a crack at your data Rodd. And very nice data it is too! 

I used the full (90 sub) Ha stack and apart from using APP to remove some slight gradients and save some DDP stretches, everything was done in PS. The workflow was roughly as follows:

1. Saved a DDP stretch of both the Ha and Oiii, then ran Starnet2 on both, followed by a pass of NoiseXTerminator (first time using this, will definitely be buying once the trial is up). 

2. Made a Master Lum using both the Ha and Oiii above. The Oiii was added in Blend Mode Lighten, and then masked to only apply it selectively (otherwise it just made everything too flat looking). 

3. Added the Ha stars to the Master Lum, by stretching the linear Ha stack manually and adding it in Blend Mode Screen. 

4. Created a HOO blend in APP, and added as a Colour Layer in PS. 

5. A whole bunch of the usual adjustments, Levels, Curves, some use of the Camera Raw filter etc etc, too many to list (or remember!). 

If it were my own image, i would probably downscale it to 80% at the end of processing, but just decided to leave it full size. 

Thanks for sharing, and giving me the impetus to get back on the horse! 😃

1631929139_HOOv1.thumb.jpg.855b3618bfa5105b5dd5ec31bc65589f.jpg

Wow, you really brought out the detail.  And your background is very natural without a smeary look in the low signal areas.  I am still working on the image to tell the truth-never being satisfied. I am inching toward decency.  I think adding more data (good data) will help.  Thanks for joining in

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1