Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkySafari discount and v7 for Android

Pixies

• 1 month later...

Well, they did make it by the end of June, I've just had a message.

However, it appears to be just the "pro" level, and although it says it's 50% off ("save $25"), it's still £24.49 in Google Play.

I'm currently on the "plus" level with v6, and that's just £6.49.
The v6 "pro" is £17.99

I don't really need the pro level. I'm wondering if they've released that one first, hoping people will up-level as well as up-version, and then release the other two later. There seem to be no updates at all on the Simulation Curriculum website.

Can anyone with the iOS version recall if this happened on that platform? Certainly all three levels are available for v7 on iOS now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm an avid SkySafari fan but not yet received any "offer" as usually happens. I'll go track it down.

It is relatively expensive but I'm more than happy to suppoert the developers. It's one of my most used apps of any category and certainly my most used astro related app.

Edit: It's now downloading on my phone :)

Edited by Paul M

Yes I still think it's very good value for the use I make of it, and I do want to upgrade to v7, but I'd like to have the option on the level.

Actually, looking on the Apple store (holds nose with finger and thumb) it seems that for v7 they only have the basic version and the pro ( though for £2.50 less than the Android version?! ).

So perhaps the plus level is being phased out with v7.

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Well, they did make it by the end of June, I've just had a message.

However, it appears to be just the "pro" level, and although it says it's 50% off ("save $25"), it's still £24.49 in Google Play.

I'm currently on the "plus" level with v6, and that's just £6.49.
The v6 "pro" is £17.99

I don't really need the pro level. I'm wondering if they've released that one first, hoping people will up-level as well as up-version, and then release the other two later. There seem to be no updates at all on the Simulation Curriculum website.

Can anyone with the iOS version recall if this happened on that platform? Certainly all three levels are available for v7 on iOS now.

There is an iOS Skysafari 7 Plus. I recall it was available sometime after 7 Pro. Indeed that (plus the discount) led me to get 7 Pro before 7 Plus appeared, even though I'd been quite content with 6 Plus. But no regrets, if only because the Pro Moon map is much better!

• Like 1

It's all done and dusted. Downloaded from Google play and about 1.8 gig of files later it's running nicely.

The interface is different but I'm not sure what extra features above 6 Pro I got for my money. No matter, I'm happy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul M said:

It's all done and dusted. Downloaded from Google play and about 1.8 gig of files later it's running nicely.

The interface is different but I'm not sure what extra features above 6 Pro I got for my money. No matter, I'm happy.

First impressions are positive. The app runs great on my Android 10 Moto G8+. SkyCast is a feature I'm looking forward to trying... Remotely synchronising in real time an observing session with another person could be fun (if it works well).

• Like 3

Unfortunately most of the new features  seem  focused on social media. The hoped for DSO database upgrades did not make it and are not even in the iOS 7.1 in beta test which is very disapointing. They keep promising this sometime in the future.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, pystab said:

There is an iOS Skysafari 7 Plus. I recall it was available sometime after 7 Pro. Indeed that (plus the discount) led me to get 7 Pro before 7 Plus appeared, even though I'd been quite content with 6 Plus. But no regrets, if only because the Pro Moon map is much better!

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the moon map. I might go Pro anyway.

8 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The app runs great on my Android 10 Moto G8+

Thanks, I have the same handset.

20 hours ago, pystab said:

Thanks, I found it eventually: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/skysafari-7-plus/id1567654881   - it's £8.99

It didn't show up when I searched for Skysafari, only when I searched for Simulation Curriculum.

On the upgrades between basic>plus>pro, I think I read somewhere that they don't give any discount, versus buying from scratch. So I really ought to decide before I go to V7.

What are the main differences between SS6 and SS7 as far as the Pro version is concerned ?

I'm a SS6 Plus version user, and it would be useful to know whether it's worth looking at going for the new version.

I know I could look on the website, but I'm more interested in knowing what makes real users go "Oh, that's really good!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

What are the main differences between SS6 and SS7 as far as the Pro version is concerned ?

I'm a SS6 Plus version user, and it would be useful to know whether it's worth looking at going for the new version.

I know I could look on the website, but I'm more interested in knowing what makes real users go "Oh, that's really good!"

I've just upgraded to 7 Pro from 6 Pro on android. No idea of what the extra features are in detail but the general appearance seems to have been made over.  The sky looks more realistic and "sharp" and the user interface has been rehashed. Some menu items have changed.

All things considered I really like it. A very smart looking app.

• Thanks 1

V7 seems to have a few bugs to iron out. In particular, people reporting an inability to turn off audible notifications during a session. That's a red line for me in my observing location. SC have said they've fixed it in two minor releases, but people are saying it persists.

If you're already on V6 Pro then I think the main difference is the new UI, which seems to have been received positively by most, from what I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had the hurry-up alert on buying V7 Pro at the reduced price. I have one week left, though I believe from other posts that Simulation Curriculum do run sales from time to time.

The V7 Plus level has now appeared as an option, at £9.99.  Pro is £24.99.