Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera selection?

fortytwo

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

ZWO are not the only makers of astro cameras or even of CMOS astro cameras. There are many brands. You most certainly don't have to use ZWO products.

olly

I was replying in relation to which cameras can be used with the ZWO ASI Air Pro/Plus 👍.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm lost. What does pixel size have to do with field of view? If the chips have the same number of pixels then, obviously, the one with the bigger pixels will have a larger chip giving a larger FOV. 

Olly

Sorry, wasn't thinking when I wrote this. They are both APS-C sensors so will have the same FOV but the larger pixel size means you get more arc-seconds per pixel with the 071 camera.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, iantaylor2uk said:

Sorry, wasn't thinking when I wrote this. They are both APS-C sensors so will have the same FOV but the larger pixel size means you get more arc-seconds per pixel with the 071 camera.

Yes, but in no way as good pixels as in the IMX571 of the ASI2600 (or other brands with that sensor). You can always bin but I never found a need to do that. It is just no way the 071 can compete in image quality. I think the hang up on pixel size is a left over from the CCD era where pixel size was almost directly correlated to sensitivity. That does not apply when comparing CMOS sensors of different generations.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1