Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Phone mount for tracking

Frad76

Hello everyone, I have tried to run a search but with no actual answers for my question.

I would like to roughly find objects in the sky by mounting my phone on my 8" dob and using something like SkyMap. I am not asking any kind of pint point precision obviously, only some help to mount a phone decently enough for the job.

I am just starting again and still waiting for a decent night since long time and I'd like to make things a bit easier.

Any input is more than welcome.

Thank you

On 29/05/2022 at 09:53, happy-kat said:

Hope you find something from them that helps you with your push-to idea. SkyEye also has push-to function, I have used the android app I don't know if also on iOS.

Thanks, just found that app, will try this noon on my Dob and see if it works for me. Sky forecast is clear for tonight in Yorkshire. Wish me luck! :)

On 01/06/2022 at 14:06, Frad76 said:

Thanks, just found that app, will try this noon on my Dob and see if it works for me. Sky forecast is clear for tonight in Yorkshire. Wish me luck! :)

More chance of winning the lottery. 

• Haha 1

I use the PushTo feature in PS Align Pro for iPhone. Works really well. Here are some quick snaps of the mount. I have a handle on my Dob so I’ve used a bicycle handle bar holder plus tripod phone mount. Never needed to level anything, it just works. 

Interestingly, even though there’s a damn great magnet on the back of the phone (MagSafe) and I have another magnet in the case (MagSafe case) it has absolutely no impact on how the thing works. In fact it’ll work just as well using the MagSafe magnet to simply attach to the phone to the steel of the OTA - no mount required - although maybe the phone is a little precarious stuck on like this!

FD0C81B9-83D0-4127-8A0F-1506442F6D2F.jpeg

4EEAF473-11CD-42E1-875A-4BAA8097A367.jpeg

85AB4966-EFEF-4A25-B43D-9940C42DF8F9.jpeg

• Like 3