Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Modification Explained?

tompato

So I'm looking at having my Canon 600d astromodified but I'm trying to make sense of the options. As I understand it, the options are as follows:

1. Remove both IR filters, shim the sensor forwards and end up with a full spectrum mod - which I'm pretty sure I don't want as then you have to use an IR cut filter for astro imaging?

2. Remove the single IR cut filter and shim the sensor forward. This is 'normal' astromodified? I'm guessing this is the one I want as it increases Ha sensitivity but maintains the block on the infrared ranges? However this means any normal use of the camera would require extensive colour balancing and white balance settings etc to get 'normal' looking images in regular use?

3. The 'Baader' replacement filter which replaces the filter that is normally removed and this has a cut off after the Ha wavelengths and this means the focus/sensor position doesn't have to be moved? This would also be like the normal 'astromodified' approach above but the camera would maintain its ability to be used normally without colour correction being needed, custom white balance settings etc? Is there a downside to this other than the extra cost?

So yeah I think that covers my questions, I'm fairly sure most people just have option 2 done, but the Baader mod put some doubt in my mind. I don't really need to use my 600d for normal photography as I have Fuji cameras I use for that.

Also, does anyone recommend anyone in particular? I've seen that the 'Astronomiser' and 'Cheap Astrophotography' here in the UK.

42 minutes ago, tompato said:

which I'm pretty sure I don't want

If you're UK based, I'd recommend this guy. The various alternatives are explained therein.

All you need is to simply remove the hot mirror (one of the ir filters you mention).

Cheers and HTH

2 hours ago, tompato said:

So I'm looking at having my Canon 600d astromodified but I'm trying to make sense of the options. As I understand it, the options are as follows:

1. Remove both IR filters, shim the sensor forwards and end up with a full spectrum mod - which I'm pretty sure I don't want as then you have to use an IR cut filter for astro imaging?

2. Remove the single IR cut filter and shim the sensor forward. This is 'normal' astromodified? I'm guessing this is the one I want as it increases Ha sensitivity but maintains the block on the infrared ranges? However this means any normal use of the camera would require extensive colour balancing and white balance settings etc to get 'normal' looking images in regular use?

3. The 'Baader' replacement filter which replaces the filter that is normally removed and this has a cut off after the Ha wavelengths and this means the focus/sensor position doesn't have to be moved? This would also be like the normal 'astromodified' approach above but the camera would maintain its ability to be used normally without colour correction being needed, custom white balance settings etc? Is there a downside to this other than the extra cost?

So yeah I think that covers my questions, I'm fairly sure most people just have option 2 done, but the Baader mod put some doubt in my mind. I don't really need to use my 600d for normal photography as I have Fuji cameras I use for that.

Also, does anyone recommend anyone in particular? I've seen that the 'Astronomiser' and 'Cheap Astrophotography' here in the UK.

Questions 1, 2 and 3 are all as you assume…and yes the “Normal Astro mod” is as you say in question 2, I have had the mod done over the years by both Cheapastrophotography and Astronomiser, no difference in how they worked, but at the time CA were much cheaper….👍🏼