SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some globular clusters w NV

vineyard

After a quick go at M13 about 10 days ago, I tried a few more GCs over 2 nights - one night w the STF7 & the TV55 but w/o the 0.5x reducer, so running at about f/4.7.  The second night with a wee Meade ETX125 (f/15) with a TV40 plossl (so running at about f/10).

For the STF I tried an Astronomik CLSCCD filter since looking at its transmission profile, its seems a bit like a long-pass filter.  For the ETX I used a 642nm lowpass filter.

Targets both nights were M13, M92 & NGC 6229 in Hercules, M3 in Canes Venatici, M53 in Coma Berenices & NGC5466 in Bootes.  As well as M57 in Lyra (ok its a PN but why not :) ).

The first night I just did one-star alignment on the MiniTower II, the second night (since I knew the FOV would be tighter w the ETX) two-star alignment.

Both nights were great.  Successfully managed to view all the targets - except NGC5466 which I could not find both nights.  Needed to do a little bit of panning when only 1-star alignment was used but that was to be expected. As expected 2-star alignment brought the scope much closer to target.

If I had to compare the two (just from memory) I'd say the STF7 but that's to be expected w better framing (wider FOV) and more aperture.  But the Meade ETX even at f/10 did its job v well - more than sufficient for clusters, & a lot lighter & easier to setup.

Seeing the clusters jewel-like hanging in the sky was v nice.

Not a chance I could have seen those w/o NV in Bortle 8/9 here.

• Like 1