SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can I use my quark on my quad 100mm refractor with just a UV ir filter with out a front erf thanks more confused

iwols

well thought i had found my setup for solar imaging,consisting of my ts optics 100mm quad,quark chromosphere,1.25" uv/ir filter for front of quark and a asi 178 camera,but just been told that because my scope is a quad it probably isnt suited to the quark(heat) ,more confused so can anyone throw some light on  it thanks as always

• Like 1

This is a good one and I'm interested to hear the answers. Some say that Petzval type and quad type scopes are unsuitable for solar viewing because they all have some kind of rear element at the focuser end of the scope and the sunlight/heat is concentrated there which could lead to damage. Others say they have contacted the manufacturers of these types of scopes and been assured that it is fine to use them for solar? A front mounted ERF would assure you of it's safety. I have a small petzval refractor that I have used for WL with a solar wedge and nothing has been damaged.

• Like 2

Interesting you've been told not; wonder why? 

Cloudynights article suggests external erf - usual issue with managing heat in the tube. What does Daystar recommend,  or your normal supplier . I've just put a quark on my wishlist to use either with my william optics 102 gt or as a "cheapish" doublestack on my lunt ls60.

• Like 1

I have a na140sf and a vixen visac, both of which have tertiary optics that I wouldn't use for solar observing for the reasons above. 

However I did find, purchase and try a 80mm halpha 35nm filter on AliExpress for a reasonable price that I now use as an erf to prevent self heating driving my quark off band. 

My trial with a 1.25" ha pre filter for energy rejection lead to reduction in detail which I'm not seeing with the bigger filter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

What does Daystar recommend, 

It's Daystars advice not to use with oil-spaced objectives or petzval/rear element designs, unless an external front fitted ERF is used.

• Like 2

@Merlin66 (Ken) has contacted a number of manufacturers, Televue amongst them I believe and they have said that their petzvals are safe to use. I believe Ken uses a Genesis for solar work without problem.

I confess I’m too much of a coward to use my Genesis for this so stick to the Tak. I’ve also not used my Tak FC76Q due to concern over heat build up in the extender module, but that’s just me.

Hopefully Ken will respond to this thread with more info. You could always contact TS for their opinion.

• Like 2

The 2" Baader 35nm H-a filter is recommended as a second line, internal D-ERF.
I use one with my Baader full aperture D-ERF on my 150/10 PST mod to protect the camera.

The Baader external D-ERF still passes a lot of heat at this aperture. Instant smoke on black foam at focus!
I also have a Beloptik KG3 stacked with the 35nm. Both filters are well inside the focuser on 2" extension tubes.
The idea here being that they are not subjected to tightly focused heat and will protect the following elements.
With these two filters present there is no discernible heat at focus. Tested with the bare skin of my hand.

• Like 3

I use my 102 for CaK and WL ( Lunt wedge ) - neither wedges get anywhere near warm, so I feel assured by that. As fas as I can remember the William Optics is a three element version, is the TS optics similar?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

I use my 102 for CaK and WL ( Lunt wedge ) - neither wedges get anywhere near warm, so I feel assured by that. As fas as I can remember the William Optics is a three element version, is the TS optics similar?

the ts is a quad scope

• Like 1

A bit of a different way of looking at the problem. Unless or course I'm missing something.

You have a very narrow band filter (etalon) which means it doesn't matter if you have a cheap refractor with loads of CA.
As long as you you don't have a wobbly focusser, or really poor lens, you will get good results, without worrying about damage to an expensive refractor.

This allows you to leave the quark and anything else assembled to one frac, leaving your decent frac for night use.

HTH, David.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iwols said:

thanks for that but just to clarify ive just had a reply from ts optics stating not to use this scope for solar 

And yet, at least one person is. David, though, makes a valid point.

• Like 1