Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light solar image - 22nd May 2022

I managed a short white light session this morning, with average seeing. Granulation was quite muted but the big AR was still stunning to look at. Took these with my smartphone, handheld at one eyepiece of the binoviewer 🤪🤪

04BAA966-2B2D-405D-9E81-E98C90AADE1D.jpeg

7802B422-6B0B-4CCC-9C8B-4A891EE19FE5.jpeg

36ADF04C-F1C6-4C58-B811-D7233BC4AEF1.jpeg

• Like 9

Excellent Stu! I also managed to have a look in white light and H-alpha yesterday. It's quite an impressive area in white light I must say! Seeing was mediocre, however, I sometimes experienced moments of calm seeing which revealed the fine structure of the umbra/penumbra. Here are a couple, cropped, photos I snapped in white light:

PSX_20220522_180825_crop.thumb.jpg.e370605535924982c036ba9f6d4fe44a.jpgPSX_20220522_180016_crop.thumb.jpg.030c1b6157de9ad6f813a19bfc9b7f35.jpg

I also had a look in H-alpha where an army of prominences caught my attention on the limb. They were quite good looking! There were many thin filaments in AR3014 and some glowing plague. Here's a small video (prime focus with DSLR) covering some of the H-alpha features visible on the disk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3efHNih7wE

I'm surprised you're able to capture such images through binoviewers:thumbright:

Victor

Edited by Victor Boesen
  • Like 4

Excellent shots @Victor Boesen 👍. It’s a pretty amazing group I agree. I found the separation in the umbra at the bottom of my shot very striking visually. As you say, when the seeing stabilises you really do see so much detail in the penumbra.

I’ve just bought an adaptor (as pointed out by @Tiny Clanger) to fit a T ring to my Morpheus eyepieces so will give the DSLR a go sometime soon, although the sensor is probably worse than my phone as it is a Canon 1000D! Worth a go I guess…

• Like 1

Thank you Stu, appreciate it :thumbright:

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I’ve just bought an adaptor (as pointed out by @Tiny Clanger) to fit a T ring to my Morpheus eyepieces so will give the DSLR a go sometime soon, although the sensor is probably worse than my phone as it is a Canon 1000D! Worth a go I guess…

Certainly worth a go! Looking forward to your results ;) 

• Like 1