Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Solar Screen

Anyone using one of these?

I'm happy with my WL solar set-up, a Vixen A80M on a Porta II with Lunt wedge, SC filter and 8-24mm zoom. Just the job for a bit of casual Sunspot spotting.

The problem I have is surrounding glare from the Sun at the eyepiece, so in an attempt to help with this and increase viewing contrast I picked up a T2 Baader solar screen. It works very well at creating a shadow at the eyepiece but in order to make enough room to get to the eyepiece I need to use a couple of T2 extensions and then I can't reach focus. So in order to make it all work I've had to just use one T2 extension, giving a gap of about 60mm between the screen and the eyepiece. To use it I have to tilt the whole thing to the side, left in my case as I observe with my left eye and view from the side, so I can fit my head in the gap to get to the eyepiece. I can now reach focus and view the Sun whilst being protected from the surrounding glare, great! But then after observing for a while my left ear brushed against the back of the screen which by now had got quite hot, ouch!

20120116_065122.jpg

20120116_064942.jpg

20120116_065042.jpg

20120116_065017.jpg

Edited by Franklin

I had a homemade one years ago. Worked fine unless it was breezy when it would cause some wobble (although if not too much, it can actually make small spots more visible). Nowadays I just drop a fleece over my head. 

• Like 1

Yes it uses a velcro strap so it can be positioned anywhere you want. and also the width can be adjusted. This is mine although it’s the now long discontinued AstroEngineering one but the same design. 

11C9F53F-188F-400B-9F48-01330C8B5073.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

This has given me some ideas.  Solar observing in Texas is brutal most of the year (we're just north of the tropics).  To expand the number of months I can solar observe, I'll have to work out how to make a full body screen using some sort of collapsible pop up beach sun shade tent to make storage compact and lightweight.  Perhaps something similar to the one below could be made to work by unzipping part of the opposite side door and keeping the tripod low?

spacer.png