Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this?

6 hours ago, stevewanstall said:

I have a ZWO ASI1600MM Pro Cooled Monochrome 4/3" CMOS USB 3.0 Deep Sky Imaging Camera. When taking  'darks' this is what appears. It doesn't look like 'hot' pixels. Any ideas?

Untitled-1.jpg

Sensor damage, possibly a cosmic ray as noted above. If under warranty you may be able to return it. Otherwise a large scale dither will help. 

Dithering won’t solve this appearing in a dark though. If it’s in the dark then it will be calibrated into the lights surely even if the lights are dithered.
So dither and don’t use darks is what AdamJ is saying I think.

9 hours ago, PadrePeace said:

Dithering won’t solve this appearing in a dark though. If it’s in the dark then it will be calibrated into the lights surely even if the lights are dithered.
So dither and don’t use darks is what AdamJ is saying I think.

Not quite. I would say dither and use darks. If the pixels are totally dead, dithering will result in the areas of the image covered by the dead pixels being statistically rejected from the stack. Darks won't solve totally dead pixels without dithering and sigma clipping or similar pixel rejection settings being used in the stacking software.