SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starliner docked with ISS

Starliner has finally docked to the ISS. I captured the two together last night between through passing clouds; I was lucky that as it was flying over there were some gaps inbetween. 8" Dob, manual tracking, asi120mc-s, 2x barlow, asicapture (0.7ms, gain 30, 150fps). PIPP and autostakkert. This was at 57degrees which is giving some nice details on the panels as well.

1508018054_Screenshot2022-05-22at00_50_25.png.07ec018ef4ceb81dff05e07b90e8ba3c.png1433021699_Screenshot2022-05-22at00_49_07.png.e5ea53429fa18b857855986f949f8935.png89492378_Screenshot2022-05-22at00_48_20.png.e0c6bf2da5705e276c656d3a1ef7dd0a.png1775923256_Screenshot2022-05-22at00_46_17.png.3bc007198a8ea4d413c7e4eddf1faac7.png1288317463_Screenshot2022-05-22at00_43_35.png.791abcf89eb843a0042d0da513655f53.png

• Like 25

13 minutes ago, Moonwrecker said:

Love the way you can see the reflection on the panels.

Thanks. I had some not so nice frames, but in them  I could see a very nice bright reflection/flare.

47 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Wonderful. You are getting rather good at this!

Thanks. The problem is that we only get one shot at a time so hard to tinker with settings. It is getting there slowly.

37 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks. The problem is that we only get one shot at a time so hard to tinker with settings. It is getting there slowly.

That’s the story of a lot of astronomy - ie don’t expect instant results and above all have patience. This winter/spring I’ve missed some things that I wanted to observe (weather, being busy, object not in a good part of my sky) and now have to wait until next year.  But in some ways that’s what makes it appealing too.  

• Like 1

Fantastic, it is amazing what images people get, such clarity and very difficult for a moving image. I tried to photograph ISS tonight (25/05/22, at 22:22 GMT, Kent Engalnd), couldn't get a steady shot, the really annoying thing is, there was a light of about quarter luminosity of ISS, that seemed to be tracking it but from the front.

According to NASA app, ISS visibility was:

Duration 6mins

Approach: 10 degrees above W

Departure: 15 degrees above SE

I am used to seeing satellites, but this object was following a path I haven't witnessed before, it had no beacon as you see on aircraft and appeared to move from front and in line with ISS, to below, then to the right, at which point ISS seemingly caught it up, the other object then just went out of sight, ISS changed luminosity as you'd expect, but the object never changed, most likely it was a satellite but I can't explain it. Gonna make sure my camera is properly set on a tripod next time it passes.

14 minutes ago, BellP said:

Fantastic, it is amazing what images people get, such clarity and very difficult for a moving image. I tried to photograph ISS tonight (25/05/22, at 22:22 GMT, Kent Engalnd), couldn't get a steady shot, the really annoying thing is, there was a light of about quarter luminosity of ISS, that seemed to be tracking it but from the front.

According to NASA app, ISS visibility was:

Duration 6mins

Approach: 10 degrees above W

Departure: 15 degrees above SE

I am used to seeing satellites, but this object was following a path I haven't witnessed before, it had no beacon as you see on aircraft and appeared to move from front and in line with ISS, to below, then to the right, at which point ISS seemingly caught it up, the other object then just went out of sight, ISS changed luminosity as you'd expect, but the object never changed, most likely it was a satellite but I can't explain it. Gonna make sure my camera is properly set on a tripod next time it passes.

I photographed ISS tonight as well. I was also curious what seemed to be somehting ahead of it. A quick check in Stellarium revealed that it was a satellite as you guessed, 

Progress MS-19.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

I photographed ISS tonight as well. I was also curious what seemed to be somehting ahead of it. A quick check in Stellarium revealed that it was a satellite as you guessed, 

Progress MS-19.

Excellent, good to know, did you manage to get a good image of ISS?

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yes I did and I just posted it. How about you?

Sorry, of course you did, brain not functioning tonight! No, sadly, my hands are a bit shaky due to a neck problem and so got the usual streaky light blurry image, but at least I got to watch it go over with the satellite so can't be too disappointed, just my luck, it was/is a very clear night here. Next time...

• Like 1