Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOptron SkyHunter vs SkyWatcher Az-Gti and Nova vs Syscan controller

Hi all,

Considering only visual needs for an Alt-az mount, what do you think about these two mounts?

Who should behave better?

Which controller system do you think it's better, the Synscan (v5) or the NovaController (#8410) ?

image.png.118a6e568e0dadecd01112e08b88c970.png image.png.51455429a9b59f32ae671acfaa32b29a.png 

image.png.53dc8eb024c7737f1f92a5c00c65c09c.png image.png.e9caf7f86d80e321c9a8df4ad813d95d.png

image.png.1731627086017ef36bae093890e45cbf.png    image.png.c99e6c45c82a15faf9b2b8a62fdc7168.png

Edited by Miguel_EA1HTA

21 minutes ago, Miguel_EA1HTA said:

Hi all,

Considering only visual needs for an Alt-az mount, what do you think about these two mounts?

Who should behave better?

Which controller system do you think it's better, the Synscan (v5) or the NovaController (#8410) ?

The AZ-GTI is a known quantity with a lot of happy users (and a few who've reported issues)  - have a read of the thread here: 

I'm sure the skyhunter will be fine, but it's a new mount with no release date, reviews or feedback yet. If budget is an issue, the AZ-GTI is likely to be cheaper as the Skyhunter comes with an ipolar (costs nearly the same price as the AZ-GTI mount by itself).  Neither comes with a hand-controller as standard, and both will be the same price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Shimrod.

Yes, they seem quite similar (iOptron will have a version without the ipolar).

I prefer the form-factor of the iOptron, but apart from that I think that they're quite equal...

Maybe the topic might be more focused on the differences in the controllers' databases and easy use, from people's perspective.

Thank you for your comments !!

Regards

I think even the version of Skyhunter without the iPolar is listed on Altair Astro for £475 - although it is sold as a kit with a tripod, extension and counterweight. So in all likelihood it is going to be more expensive.

I mean hopefully they do sell it without the tripod and extension pier, but I don't know. It does officially support EQ mode, so there is that to consider as well.

It'll be interesting to see some reviews once it is actually out.

Edited by tompato
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tompato said:

I think even the version of Skyhunter without the iPolar is listed on Altair Astro for £475 - although it is sold as a kit with a tripod, extension and counterweight. So in all likelihood it is going to be more expensive.

I mean hopefully they do sell it without the tripod and extension pier, but I don't know. It does officially support EQ mode, so there is that to consider as well.

It'll be interesting to see some reviews once it is actually out.

I would expect this to be sold as 'mount only' given they have an optional carbon fibre tripod upgrade on the Skyhunter webpage https://www.ioptron.com/category-s/255.htm - although there is no separate listing for mount only at the moment. 

They still ship the counterweight with the AZ only version but it's not clear whether you this is optional for AZ mode (I have seen reports of people exceeding the weight limit of the AZ GTI by balancing the scope).

In the UK it looks like it will be 50% more expensive than the AZ GTI (although FLO have said expect a 5-10% price rise on Skywatcher kit soon) - the convenience of the internal battery and possibly better durability of a metal case may make the ioptron a better option as a travellers portable mount.

• 9 months later...

I researched the iOptron Skyhunter and had come to the conclusion that they appeared to have issues worked out, nope. I bought one almost 2 months ago. The app worked but continually crashed requiring a restart in the beginning, now it just won't connect at all. No, there are no other devices connected to my phone or interference with wifi as at my dark sky site, there is none and I am alone. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app, no joy.

This is not a big problem though seeing as I use a laptop running NINA, Stellarium and PHD2. Using the phone is nice to move the mount when not connected via laptop but I can live with this issue.

The big issue is, after running the mount for a little while, the RA axis locks up and using the prescribed screwdriver in the hole on the dovetail does not work. The red anodized RA knob turns with the dovetail. So, to unlock the RA now if an adjustment in balance is needed etc. I have to use a pair of 12 inch channel locks on the red knob as well as the screwdriver on the dovetail. I can see many of you cringing, I padded the jaws of the channel locks with a liberal layer of masking tape, no damage.

This requires shutting down, removing the scope and mount and dealing with the problem. This is ridiculous in my opinion, maybe that's just me though.

iOptron support said they have their team working on adding teflon or brass washers to the internals to fix this. Since this RA lock issue happened, I have researched it and read posts out there of other users having this problem. Sounds to me like this is a known issue like the electronics in the beginning and they rolled the mount out to the public anyway.

Even if the RA problem is fixed, what will go wrong next? They obviously rushed this mount without thorough testing and I don't feel like I can trust it.

I will say that it did have good GOTO and tracking when used and I got decent 30 second unguided shots.

This RA unlock issue is a no go at this point and like I said, what is next?